Wednesday, July 03, 2013

The things that Rub Off

Yesterday was our great eight year anniversary.  We celebrated by going to a memorial service and then working on our own individual work, by which I mean that Dan studied his something medically and I played on the laptop in the basement.  I ask you though dear reader, how much "studying" do you think a body does while lying on the bed?  So I call our productivity level even.  There was no big fan fair, no out for dinner, no real presents either.  I made him some homemade freezer jam (mostly because the strawberries weren't going to last too much longer.). He got me the fixings for some s'mores and a card.  The s'mores were because he invited me on a family camp out Friday night and into Saturday since he will be post call.  Sounds pretty good to me.

This was not what I thought my anniversary would be like growing up.  I thought I'd be the couple doing fancy, special things.  Turns out I'm not.  And I'm pretty ok with that.  You want to know why?

Daniel

That man has rubbed off on me.  I turned off our AC a few days ago because I was feeling chilled inside our house.  In the middle of summer.  Ridiculous.  I haven't turned it back on.  Mostly because I don't think we really need it on at the moment, but at the same time think of the money we're saving!  This is Daniel's doing.

I have recently developed a habit of losing my phone.  This is because I don't always take my phone with me places.  Shocking, I know.  Then when I need it I have to search for it.  You know what though? It's kind of nice not being connected to my phone.  Turns out I'm more connected to the people I'm with.  You know who never answers his phone? Daniel.

He is so serious and pragmatic and sensible.  It's a good thing that there's also a lot about him that tickles my funny bone and is also ridiculous.  It endears him to me.  Hopefully I can do the same for him. We truly have had a great eight.

6 comments:

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

It's so true! I have become a person that lives at 80 degrees because Chris is such a "economical" person. Good thing we married such great guys who have qualities we want to emulate!

Unknown said...

Happy 8 years,

Dan's mom said...

Still hard to to top tiling a bathroom as an anniversay activity...your time will come for nice dinners out & special gifts. Besides his pragmatic side, Dan has a romantic side & a desire to make you happy.

dad said...

Well said Dan's Mom.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are building wonderful memories.
g-jane

Gina Poirier said...

Congrats and happy anniversary!