Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Grandma Jane and Grandpa Mel
My grandparents are SO FUNNY! The highlight of my day is coming home for dinner. I wouldn't miss that if my grade depended on it (which is probably not the best place to have your priorities, but it's the truth). I can't possibly write all the funny stories that have happened since I've moved in, but I thought I'd write one from tonight.
My grandparents are avid bird watchers. They microwave different varieties of birdseed (if you microwave it the seeds wont sprout in your garden if they fall) and put it out all over the yard so that the birds will come. They also have a bird bath and several bird houses. Anyway, during dinner and really anytime they are in the sun room they look for and comment on the birds. Tonight was no exception.
Jane: "Look there's two (insert type of bird here) fighting in our yard."
Mel: "It's not that Season Jane."
So it may not be as funny written down, but let me assure you the comedic timing was PERFECT! If you don't get it he was referencing that the birds were mating it being Spring and all. We all had a laugh over that one. Here's another sample of the evening's conversation about birds (pardon the swearing as these are direct quotes):
Jane: "Look at that bird shit on our window! It's all over the window!"(Its really only in one spot)
Mel: "That's nature mother." (Sometimes grandpa calls grandma "mother". It's cute)
Me: "Yeah, I have bird poop all over my car because you have so many birds in that tree."
Jane: "Well, I understand that. Them sitting there and pooping, but not on my window. And so much of it too!"
Me: "Well, birds can fly and poop at the same time."
Jane: "Maybe the bird was flying and had to turn around quick" (or run into the window)
Mel: "Must have scared himself shitless."
You may be wondering why the title of this post is "Bananas" well it's in reference to my grandma being a trivia buff. She LOVES to know pieces of trivia especially if it's about being healthy. Because of this during dinner last night she whips out, "Bananas are supposed to be the best fruit for you in terms of vitamins and minerals per calorie." Yes, that comment came out of nowhere! She just remembers this stuff all on her own. This amazes me because she's always saying how she can't remember anything. She says that she can't remember how to work this or that. She says she can't think of the persons name. Why then I ask you can she always tell you what foods you should eat and why you should eat them (even if you already know that)?
Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed my post as much as I have enjoyed living with my grandparents. They are AMAZING!
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
- I found out all about ears from the ear doctor. Did you know that cotton and ear wax and water hardens up to make a brick like substance in your ear? GROSS. I think I'm off of Q-tips forever.
- I got to see Derek again. Man that kid is funny! He decided the last morning that he was going to light a whole bunch of matches--in his mouth! It was awesome.
- I got to hear the story of how my sister and the ear doctor met. You'd think I would know this by now, but I didn't. He likes to talk and I like to listen so we work well together.
- When Daniel and I got there Friday we got to spend about an hour together just laying in the grass (in the shade of course) talking and laughing. It was fun to have that time with him.
- Daniel didn't get mad at me for sleeping half the way home. He is such an understanding kid! He has basically come to accept that he will be driving 95% of our marriage. I love him
- Daniel and I spent Sunday night with my Grandma Margie and she was SO FUNNY! We had a blast and laughed the whole evening.
- This last one actually happened last night, but the ear doctor called to tell me he had photos of my car on his developed film (my car was clipped by an RV). Man that kid is funny.
Anyway, I also found out that the ear doctor will be making it to my wedding! How great! I hope he likes it! I'm pretty sad that his moon shots didn't turn out.
PS. This post probably didn't do justice to how great the weekend was.
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
- Sometimes to be there means to just talk and talk and talk about nothing. Tell the story of the silly thing that happened today.
- Sometimes you just have to sit and listen. Don't move, don't speak, don't analyze.
- A warm arm and a good hug. A shoulder to cry on.
- Someone that can look through the situation and see the good.
- Sometimes it means the most that you drop what you are doing when someone you care about needs you.
- Sometimes to be there really means to run as fast as you can to get to that person.
- When someone sits on the phone with nothing to say, but will just stay there late into the night and on into the morning. They are there for you.
These are only a few things that I can think of right now. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my hope is that I can continue to be there for the people I care about and that I will be able to thank those that have cared enough to be there for me. You know who you are, and I love you all!
Monday, May 16, 2005
Thursday, May 12, 2005
- This week I recieved my wedding announcements. I was waiting for my sister to call me and tell me she got it and to give me a critique on mine, but I guess that is a service you have to ask for.
- I got in a car accident today. Usually this wouldn't be put in the good category, but I wasn't driving, nobody got hurt, and it was in the big BYU Mail Services van so Michelle, my co-worker isn't going to have to pay insurance on it. All in all I got to have about a half hour of paid break because of it. I figure for me, it's pretty good. Plus, we made some pretty funny jokes about it afterward. I wanted to tell people that we hit a pregnant lady (she was pregnant), but she's only 4 months pregnant, and we didn't actually hit her, just the end of her car. Plus we were going pretty slow. Anyway, when I get a good way to tell the story, I'll let you all know.
- Two nights ago I had a dream. My mom and I were together and we found out that a big fire was coming toward us (nobody else knew) and before that a big flood would come. We fireproofed our trailer (somehow we owned a trailer, I'm not sure where that came from) and then we decided that we should go get Katie, my sister. Well we must have been in CO because the outside of her work looked like where she really does work (or at least the place I've seen). We went inside to find her, but she wasn't at the place she usually is. So we split up looking for her, Mom went up and I went down. I found her in some sort of basement under the building that is connected to the sewer (VERY Teen-Age-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-esque) when I found her I knew that the flood was about to come on us so I held on to something but her and three of her co-workers were flushed to this hanging precipice where they were all clinging from a ladder. I'll be honest with you here, I only really wanted to save my sister, but she was on the bottom so I saved one of her co-workers. Then another one of them fell into the deep hole where I can assume that she died. So there's only my sister and this middle-aged overweight man hanging on the ladder. I decided that there was no way I could lift this guy to get to my sister. I made him promise me that he would make sure Katie was OK while I went and got my mom for help. We came back down and pulled the man to safety and learned that he had indeed let my sister fall. I was so furious with this man. I kicked him the the groin and then woke up. I was still so mad at that man. I hope that I never meet her co-workers because it sounds like they're all middle-aged overweight men. Yes, my sister died in my dream. That is why this is in the bad category.
- Well, after a story like that I'm exhausted. I don't know what to write for the ugly so that'll just have to come later. Like after my nap on the library chairs.
Friday, May 06, 2005
Monday, May 02, 2005
Other than that things are going pretty ok down here. I had a breakthrough in accepting the fact that I will have to stay for spring term yesterday so I'm starting to enjoy myself much better.
I have been looking on the Heat's blog to see if she wrote anything about her exciting weekend, but no such luck! I know she told me the story already, but I'd like to read it in all the details. She never told me if she cried or not, probably not because she's not really a crier unless under considerable stress. I'd just like to read it if she has the time!