Monday, September 16, 2013

Spit and Polish

I started music lessons when I was young.  In the neighborhood of 5.  I started violin lessons when I was 8ish and played the violin through high school and some into college.  Music, and the violin was a huge part of my life.  During high school I was in three hours of rehearsal minimum every day, and then did practicing on top of that.

Then in college I just sort of dropped it.  Without the external groups to be in there was really little motivation to keep up with it while doing my studies.  Then I got married and had kids and life is hectic.

My daughter, 6, is now taking violin lessons.  Every day I practice with her.  I mold her hands to what they should be and ask her to think about the curve of her pinkie. And it has reminded me of the curve of my pinkie.  The straight spine on the hard chairs.  The gentle yet strong motion of the arm.  The weight of my head holding the violin in place.  I love being reminded of the basics, the basics which will always always be helpful for every musician.

Start small, take little steps and you will make it to the top of the mountain.  Work here and there and you can create something beautiful that you never thought you could do.  I love creating music.  I love being around others and putting my "voice" with theirs to blend and create.

And so

Tomorrow I am going to the chamber symphony here in town that is open to anyone that wants to join.  I'm joining.  Or at least I'll give it my best try.  Just looking at the music tonight seems daunting.  With all the nerves inside of me I'm not sure how it will go.  I just hope this is an accepting group of people willing to be patient while I take my first steps to the top of the mountain.  Start small, work hard, and I can succeed.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Congrats, Maggie! I just started up with this group a year ago after taking 6-8 years off of regular playing as well. It feels SO good to get back into it, and i can't wait to see your smiling face there with me every week!

Dan's mom said...

I'm sure you'll do well. It will good for Charlotte to see you practice, too. There is definitely something to be said for the fellowship of other musicians to push you and urge you on. There is something in music that touches us. Sunday we sang "Lord, I Would Follow Thee" One verse says
"I would be my brothers' keeper,
I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary,
I would show a gentle heart" I found myself in tears for I saw Dan so clearly in those words- music can do that. Enjoy!

dad said...

My heart will be there with you.

Katie said...

You'll be great!!!

You are very talented and people love being around you

Dan's mom said...

How was the chamber orchestra? What are they preparing to play?

Gina Poirier said...

Wow, that's a great idea! Good luck! I have an electric piano that I play occasionally, but my clarinet has been in storage for....10 years-ish? Crazy how something I was once so attached to can be put away for so long. Hopefully I'll get more motivation in the next few years once my kids start doing more music.