Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Growing Up

***Disclaimer: To my sister. I am nervous about posting this blog just because I don't know how you will take it. I am just writing my reactions to what I percieved you to be saying. If I am wrong in some way or I hurt you I apologize right now.****

I'm not entirely sure how this post will go. I feel as though there are many thoughts in my head and I'm not sure how to get them out correctly. This post contains my personal reactions to my sister's post "9 things I do differently now that I'm not a psycho BYU co-ed Mormon ." There are two parts to this post:

Part 1:

I admit that my initial reaction was not a happy one. In fact, I was royally upset. I percieved my sister's blog to be saying that BYU is a place that is too sheltered from the world. Perhaps even that it is difficult to become the person you want to be in that environment. I have known many people in my life that have challenged me in my decision to go to BYU and also in my decision to have my religion. Therefore, I get rather defensive. Recently I went up to Oregon State for a visit and a guy I met there told me to my face that I was a sell out for going to BYU. He said something to the effect of there's no reason that people should try to go there like they do because it doesn't help anybody. The social environment is detrimental to people. I was a little upset because he has never actually lived here. Why is it that I always here all these negative things about my school from people that haven't actually GONE to my school? Now my sister, whom I love and trust, thinks the same thing.

Here is my philosophy, BYU is an LDS school. Being such it should be expected to be a center for LDS thought. If it were a Jewish school it would be a center for new Jewish thought. If it were a liberal school it would be a place for new liberal thought. I am frustrated with people who complain about BYU not being liberal enough. It isn't a liberal school. With that said, I don't feel that people are close minded here. Maybe this is my experience alone, but I have met many very open people living here with very different ideas about life and religion than my own. (Yes they are Mormon too.) Granted there are people that are close minded, and ignorant. You would get that at any school though. Take the good with the bad. That's the kind of world we live in. You like where you live because of how you live and who you are. People can be content just about anywhere if they are living in a manner that makes them happy. It is a personal choice not the choice of the masses.

Most of that was just tangential and I'm sorry, but I've been mulling that one over for a while now. I thought I might as well just get it out into the open.

Part 2

Growing up. I think really that's what my sister's blog is about. I will admit that I had to rush off to work right after having read her blog. I spent two hours stuffing envelopes with money for the taste pannel tomorrow and had plenty of time to think. That's what I came up with. Here's my take on the topics discussed in her blog:
1. Defining yourself/prayer. Everyone has a point in their life that they HAVE to chose who they are and what they believe in. I think my sister's done it. She's made her decision. Bravo to her.
2. Lame activities/Support. This one goes off more on what was said in the comments section, but I have also been to many lame activities. Dances, I'll admit, I have stayed away from, not really ever having liked my experiences there. Also having been put in charge of many activities I personally thought were lame I know how much it means to someone if people actually show up to FHE when the only thing planned is the flour game.
3. Try to convert others. Again a timeless life lesson. Having been forced into many different social circles in the past I know what it means to have a friend that just appreciates you for who you are. I can't say I've ever converted anyone, but I can say that I have good friends that know what it means to live an LDS lifestyle. I think this lesson can be learned with no respect to where you live. BYU or somewhere else, the lesson will come.
4. Judging others. Again that just comes from growing up. Here, there or anywhere.
5. Peer Pressure. This one made me laugh. Peer pressure is overcome at different stages in life. I think of my sister as a completely independent woman who makes up her mind about many things on her own. To be pressured into not doing something by her peers seems so amusing to me.
6. Sarcasm. I personally have NEVER liked sarcasm. I have consciously tried to stay away from it, even though it pops in every once in a while. I'm glad she stopped.
7. Sleepy Sundays. I think the real message here is that she decided that she would make her Sunday more meaningful. I get this from her comments later, not the actual post itself. I personally disagree about the THREE hour nap for myself, but whatever helps you the most on Sunday.
8. Feel Guilty. I think that this is also a lesson learned in time. Being able to have an accurate picture of yourself is a very hard task. To be able to say, "I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be, but I'm not what I used to be either." Is difficult. By that I mean, having the appropriate perspective. I think people everywhere have this problem. Not just at BYU.
9. Opening my friendships. I will admit that at college, once you are in your major you are basically locked into a certain social circle. I'm glad my sister now can accept more people as friends. I think this was a cause of some disagreements between the two of us my freshmen year.

All in all, I'm glad my sister can see herself grow. I think it's amazing. I still disagree with her on a few issues, but for the most part I'm just glad it happened. I hope everyone, myself included, can strive to become more introspective, whether it be at BYU, CU, or anywhere else on the globe.

8 comments:

Alice said...

Comments from a no longer practicing, yet still Mormon people loving, should probably mind my own business, delete me if you must, I won’t be offended, really respect your love for your sister, and your religious point of views, reader:

Your BYU comments? From my point of view, you are right on sister!!. BYU is the greatest school on earth and I don’t just say that because half my family teaches there… I say it because I have been to BYU and it’s opposite, San Francisco State University. And let me tell you this, (surprise for all you peeps out there that have never been to BYU but lay claim on your judgment calls). BYU has more freedom of discussion in classrooms than most liberal schools because they are private and not subjected to certain laws that limit class discussions. As you said, the focus of many discussions be it English class, History etc., can tend to lead to a religious discussion… come on you peeps that have never been there, how great is that? REALLY GREAT! It isn’t limited to LDS, it is up to you, the students, to decide where these discussion go, WITH NO LIMITATIONS. Wouldn’t you like to have that opportunity “liberal” Berkley (just one example)? WELL YA DON'T!! (still, go Bears). AND let’s admit it, religion plays a fat, or should I say phat, roll in history.

YOU say it so well here “Granted there are people that are closed minded, and ignorant. You would get that at any school though.” (and I will add in any religion).

LAST… You made a point I have never consider in my life until I just read it on your blog: “8. Feel Guilty. I think that this is also a lesson learned in time. Being able to have an accurate picture of yourself is a very hard task. To be able to say, ‘I’m not what I should be, I’m not what I could be, but I’m not what I used to be either.’ Is difficult. By that I mean, having the appropriate perspective. I think people everywhere have this problem. Not just at BYU” and I would like to add not just Mormon.

The truth is for me, I have always associated the lift of guilt from my life with my transition of leaving the church because it happened around the same time, but I can’t promise it was that… I mean, come on, I was soul searching… it could have easily just been the process of trying to no longer live on borrowed testimony and the process of growing up.

I apologize for posting a blog on your blog, rather than just a comment, but I really find these discussion interesting and helpful. This is a real soul searching process for all of us regardless of our beliefs and I am feel lucky to have haphazardly landed here. So, thank you. It was good to hear what you had to say and it made me think!

Katie said...

First of all Baby, I'd never be mad at you for telling me what you think. I love you unconditionally.

Second, I think I addressed your concerns in Part 1 in my post from this morning. I was very unhappy for a time at BYU, and didn't even know it. Remember when I lived in the basement of that little scary house? I don't think I met a new person for an entire school year. I just sat down there in that basement and made mean jokes with Jill. We got to the point where we didn't even notice the scwallor we were living in. That's bad.

Addressing Part 2
1. Prayer/defining yourself. I have done this OVER AND OVER AND OVER in my life. Everytime I get to a new level I look back and am surprised by how I used to think that I understood myself and my relationship to God. I think it is cute/a little naive to think that there is one defining moment where you make this choice. In my experience, it has never been so binary.
2. This comment was pretty much made for comedic effect. Of course I know it is important to go to lame activities and show support. That is why I haven't missed an FHE, ward or institute activity, or baptism trip since moving here to Colorado. I think my actions speak louder than words on this one.
3. Converting people. I think the gospel is very important and I've been involved in the conversion of 3 of my friends since I've moved to Colorado. The thing I've learned (which I think I forgot while attending BYU) is that often people are satisfied and happy with the faith or lack thereof that they've chosen. Everyone is just trying to find a way to be happier. I'd love them to choose the same way that I've found, but if they find something else, kudos to them.
4. Judging others. This has always been my weakness, and it was just brought out by my experience at BYU. For good or bad, that's what happened while I was there. You can't ever make me feel like this isn't a constant presence at BYU becuase I've been there and I know it is.
5. Peer pressure. This comment was also said as a joke. Jeez, mags, you know I couldn't give a rip about peer pressure.
6. Sarcasm. Haven't stoped, but I have changed the flavor. I'm trying to use it to be witty not hurtful.
7. Sleepy Sundays. I like my 3 hour nap. Its the only time all week I can just relax. I can't go home between classes anymore and crash, and I don't want to waste my free day (Saturday) just sleeping.
8. NO comment
9. THe only disagreement I've ever had with you over your friends was about Bryant, and its not like I didn't give him a chance. I gave him a chance, I felt like he was totally rude and not compatable with me in any way, so I decided not to be his friend. I had no problem with YOU being his friend. I did have a problem with you being his girlfriend. He didn't deserve you. And it turend out that the kid is a selfish jerk, so I feel completely fine in writing him off.

Maggie said...

Dear Katie,
I know all this about you, and that's why it bothered me when you wrote your blog. It didn't seem like the you that I know. It makes me happy to see that I was wrong. I love you and I can't wait to see you soon! Merry Christmas!

be said...

Kim said that she was really impressed your post, and how you already seem to have grasp on things that its taken her years to figure out. I just thought I would pass that on because she didn't want to post it. I think you've got your head screwed on pretty straight.

Kim Dubois said...

And now that you know that I’m too big of a sissy to write my own comment, I just want to clarify that I was really impressed BY your blog. And it wasn’t just your blog, it was also the comment that you left on Sam I Am’s page about the balance of power in relationships. I think you’re inspiring, Maggie. I want to be like you.

katezmom said...

Hey, I want to be like you when I grow up!

the narrator said...

since provo and most of happy valley is an extension of BYU, i guess i can consider myself as being in BYU.

maggie, you know how i feel about this wonderful little place we live in.

is there anything essentially wrong with BYU? perhaps, but those things are more issues with academic freedom, administration, football, and honor code issues (i think the honor code is fine. i disagree with the subjective practice of disciplining it)

as far as the people go. they can be great. i do think that the people of byu tend to breed intolerance, judging, and self-righteousness, but that happens in any close knit community. as much as i love the student wards and such, i think they can be problematic in that too many use it as a shelter from the real world. by pulling themselves away from the real world too much, this breeds more of the problem.

Maggie said...

Loyd--I was waiting for your comment with baited breath. I was going out on a limb actually writing this post. Thanks for not going off on me.

Kim--I am so excited to get a complement from someone I esteem so highly. Thank you very much.