Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A special kind of torture

It's really good that Charlotte and I had such an uplifting week last week.


This week she's sick.


Nobody, but someone who has experienced it, knows the mental, physical, and emotional torture that you go through when your precious little baby gets sick. Sure it's just a cold, and teething at the same time, but the sound that she makes while trying to breathe makes me want to scream. Which I did today, twice. In the back of my mind I think that makes me a bad mom, but I've resolved to do better tomorrow. When I lose my patience, it only makes things worse. I just keep thinking of moms with truly sick children, and wonder how on earth they manage to cultivate such patience, love, and understanding. I guess you learn when you have to.

4 comments:

sarah said...

I hate it when my kids are sick. I just feel so awful for them and I feel so uncapable which of course leads to an amazing amount of guilt. The nice thing to know is that eventually she'll be better - she'll wake up one day and you'll realize she's back! Here's hoping that day is tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

You might check with Charlotte's dr about a decongestant for the flight - stuffy noses can cause pressure which be uncomfortable on take-off & landing. Hope she feels better soon. We are looking forward to seeing you this weekend! Wish Dan a "happy studying".

Anonymous said...

Dads don't their children sick either. When you couldn't breathe properly I didn't sleep. I drove your mother crazy.

Mary Gibb said...

Macy has had her first stuffy nose/cold this week and it is so hard to hear her breath--she snorts! I hope that Charlotte gets feeling better.
I just read a great book, you would love it! It is "The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets" by Eva Rice. It made me think of you because there is a character who totally reminds me of how I saw you when we met as Freshmen-- and her name is Charlotte. It is a very good read, not too deep with lots of fun period stuff from the 50s. You should check it out.