Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thanksgiving Update

Funny how I had planned to post all about our Thanksgiving celebrations, and then I got busy/stressed and didn't post anything and even forgot to take photos of some of our celebrations. So here are a few of the highlights.

First, and this one might be a stretch, but the kids loved it. We spray painted Charlotte's bed. I've wanted it painted since we got it, but it was never really convenient. Now, with the carpet in her bedroom being torn up her bed had to be in the garage. I wanted to cover up the scratches in the paint and also take it from a high gloss finish to a matte finish. I've noticed that a lot of the metal day beds right now have a matte finish. I like it. Charlotte wanted it hot pink, but I convinced her that princess beds are white with pink blankets. Before painting, I talked to the kids about appreciating the things that we have and taking care of them. That way we will be able to use them for much longer. When we take care of our things it is part of showing gratitude for them.

They loved taking their turns painting the backside of the bed.

Also, Charlotte told me one day, was it last week? that it was her dog's birthday. Then Greg told me that it was also his dog's birthday. What a coincidence right? So we decided that the day was going to be a birthday party/celebration of our dogs and our love for them. It included cake, ice cream, and presents. Each kid bought the present for their dog with their own money and then wrapped it for their dog and then opened it on behalf of their dog.

Also, we had a fun night making Thanksgiving cookies. At first I thought they should be pumpkin, but since we just made pumpkin cookies a little while ago we just made regular sugar cookies and frosted them with Thanksgiving.


And here's a photo of my growing belly. I told Dan to not get me in the shot, but I guess he thought it looked better that way.

Also, lastly I wanted to share an activity that we did, but I didn't get photos for. It was my mother in law's idea and the kids were really impressed. They talked about it for days. First I talked to them about how we got Percie and Suzie from the Humane Society in St. Louis. Then I talked about what the Humane Society was and that they always needed to get help from people in order to help the animals. Helping them out is a great way to show our our gratitude for our pets. So then we went onto the Humane Society of Rochester web site and looked at what items they were asking for. We gathered all the things we had and then took them and donated them. They loved

4 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

I love the pictures! It looks like it has been a busy month so far. Can't remember--do you guys get to come for any time at Christmas?

Mindy said...

My Bro-in-law just painted his daughter's headboard. He took it from a ghastly bright brass to a lovely antiqued white. Amazing what a little pain can do!

I love how you celebrate this holiday. It's inspiring, and someday I may just do something like it.

And Greg is getting so big. Please tell him to stop growing.

Maggie said...

I keep trying to keep him from growing too much, but he keep insists on getting bigger (although don't every call him a big boy, because he will be very insulted).

We don't get to come home for Christmas, such is the life at the bottom of the totem pole. Dan does get a week off in February so we're hoping to get over there then. Fingers crossed that the weather, this baby and any unforseen circumstances don't get in the way.

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful family! Teaching them good concepts...like thankfullness. You are a good mom.
g-jane