Thursday, June 07, 2007

Learning

Being a new mom is nothing if not an educating experience! I've already learned the basics of breast feeding, changing diapers, giving baths, getting baby dressed, and trying to get out of the door on time. (If I ever figure that one out I know I'll have become a success!) Well, I've recently learned two more things: torticollis and plagiocephaly. My baby has both. Kinda scary, kinda stressful. The good thing is that she doesn't really have a bad case and if we just do the stretches and exercises that the physical therapist showed us she'll be just fine. I just feel really overwhelmed and even though everyone keeps saying that I shouldn't feel bad about this I do. I've heard tons of times that its not my fault and I agree, but in the back of my head I keep thinking, what if I had started these sooner? What if I had caught it before now and then we wouldn't need the physical therapist. My baby is only two and a half months old and she has to go to physical therapy. Now that was a stressful day! All I could see in my baby girl that day was what the therapist told me about her neck, head, and back (the torticollis gave her a little bit of scoliosis). Then yesterday and today I played with my baby and saw all the fun stuff about how awesome she is. It'll be just fine in the end I know, but right now it's just a little hard.

8 comments:

Heather said...

And you've already learned how to do what moms do best: worry about your children. Charlotte is in the best hands with your help as well as a physical therapist.

jethrojones said...

Maggie,

That takes a lot of courage to post something so openly on your blog. I commend you for that. You can't help but have those thoughts come into your mind, but knowing that it will be okay in the end is what will really keep you sane. It is okay to have moments of doubt and concern, but knowing God has a reason why He blesses us with these things makes it a lot easier. Katya is only a year old, but we have already seen numerous blessigs that have come from her disabilities (in case you don't know, Katya has Down syndrome and was born with 3 holes in her heart). You will see the hidden blessings in time. And you will be grateful for them.

Anonymous said...

Even if you had "caught this earlier", you would still have been referred to a physical therapist to show you the excercises Charlotte needs to heal & reverse these conditions. The best news is that they are reversible & respond quite quickly in babies. This is why well baby checks are important (& this is part of the pediatric side of orthopedics -so get Daddy Dan involved in Charlotte's exercise program,too). Things WILL be OK.

Maggie said...

Thanks for all the support! One good thing that has already happened is I have seen how awesome my husband is at doing the exercises with her! It has really helped me let go of her care and let him do what he can do without butting in.

Anth said...

I think it's amazing the conditions have already been caught! Your baby is so new still! Don't beat yourself up. And I think you're right - your husband gets to help out in a way he's great at - that makes everyone happy!

the narrator said...

maggie... hope you are well. this has nothing to do with your post.

can you please erase my comment on http://missmargaret.blogspot.com/2005/05/library-backpacks-necks.html#comment-111618886493473184

i'm trying to get my spam reduced.

oh yeah, and i'll be getting my temple recommend in two weeks. thought you might like to know that.

Anonymous said...

hey sorry this has nothing to do with your blog this is just how i knew to get a hold of you anyway... 1 can of white corn, 1/2 can of chick peas, 1 can of black beans drained, 2 avacados, 4 tomatoes, lime juice (optional), an italian dressing pack made with the directions on the back need oil and vinegar.....peace

Anonymous said...

Hey, this just came up in a conversation with my best friend today - I didn't know - her son has torticollis too. I don't know when they found out but he's about 8 months old. He's having trouble sitting up.

You can't blame yourself for not noticing.
Just stick with the exercises and everything will be fine!


Oh and hey - dying to hear about the wedding here!