Monday, November 05, 2007

Live and Learn

This weekend we went to Washington for the wedding of my husband's friend.  I definitely learned a few important do's and don'ts.  I figured I'd write them down so I can remember them as we will be travelling a lot this holiday season.  

Do: Have most things ready when your husband gets home from school
Don't: Take so long getting the last few things ready that you start to be late to the airport.
Do: Go to economy parking, even though it's about a mile past the airport.  It's the cheapest parking lot, cheaper even than the other private parking areas.
Don't: Have your baby get her six month shots the day before you leave.  She might get a mild fever and be achy and cranky.  This isn't fun for anyone.
Don't: Sit in the middle of the plane.  Someone will sit in the third seat in the row and then you don't have any room for the cranky baby to move around.
Do: Bring things for your baby to eat.  When she eats she's happy (which is a lot like her mom).
Don't: Forget to bring food for yourself.
Do: Remember that EVERYONE loves babies!  Especially grandma aged women.  If you feel like talking that's great.  If you feel like sleeping, that's not so great.
Do: Stay at your cousin's house.  He's so awesome and seemed so happy to see us!
Don't: Forget Tylenol.  If you take your baby two time zones away and then make her be in pain so wont sleep.  period.
Do: Spend time with Grandma Whiting.  She is awesome with the little ones!  
Don't: Wait to get Tylenol because it might cost a lot.  Get it anyway.  It'll make a huge difference.
Do: Take turns staying up with the baby when she wakes up at night.  Preferably have a good video.  In our case it was Finding Nemo at Dan's friend's house.  We stayed up and watched it with her at 2 AM until she fell asleep.  Then when she woke up at 5 AM we switched places and the other one watched it with her until she fell asleep.  It's way better than fighting with her to go back to sleep in a place that she doesn't know.
Do: Sit next to a grandma/grandpa couple while waiting for your flight to take off.  They may just give your baby a banana to eat.  Your baby loves bananas.
Do: On the flight home remember to give her Tylenol before the plane takes off and give her juice.  She'll fall asleep for half of the flight and play quietly the second half.  If you can get a seat free in between the two of you for the baby it's even better.  She can sit in that seat.  Or she can look between the cracks and play with the two grown men behind her.
Do: Bring teething toys.  She kept biting everything she could fit in her mouth.  I thought she was only getting two teeth, but those two have broken through and she's still biting everything.
Don't: Just assume that since she's in her own crib the damage done by the two time zones and no schedule will go away.  You will have to reteach her to go to sleep alone.  

All in all the trip was good.  I just would have done things a lot differently.  I don't really like waking up at 5 AM, but I don't think that can be avoided.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a gentle note from the rest of the traveling hordes: not EVERYONE loves sitting by babies on planes. Bonus points to you mommies who can keep them calm and quiet and out of our carry-ons. Demerits to the mommies who let their wee ones run rampant, pulling, flinging peanuts, and shrieking. You are so right about the Tylenol. And a drop of Benadryl can help them nap the whole flight away. Best wishes on the holiday travles!

TRS said...

Good job on the trip!
I remember when the first of my friends started having kids... she said when she stepped on a plane, people looked at her with expressions of agony!! And her kids were good!

I still don't have kids... but since traveling more I'll tell you... I really feel for the parents with kids on a flight - and I'm the sort to be helpful and friendly.
When their kids are angels I tell them so.
But if they can't make their kid stop crying - even I get ticked.
In that case, I think it's important for the parents to make it obvious that they're trying to calm the kid - otherwise it's too much for even the kindest hearted person to bear.

Sounds like you did a great job with Charolette - Hope you can stay ahead of her as her age and needs change - travelwise.
You're obviously a good mom - and a considerate traveler!

Maggie said...

Anon-I should have said that everyone loves the baby while we're at the airport waiting for the plane. Tons of people played with her. I did notice that nobody willingly sat next to us once we were on the plane. I don't blame them. Even good babies are still babies. Best wishes to you you as well!

TRS- I didn't notice many expressions of agony, but then I was wrapped up in trying to keep my kid happy. There was another baby on one of our flights that just screamed and the mom and dad were trying everything! I felt really bad, but all I could think was, "I'm so glad that's not mine!" It easily could have been.

Maggie said...

Basically I was shocked by the friendliness of the people around me. There were people that crossed the terminal just to sit next to and play with the baby. Of course, not EVERYONE loves babies, but in general people were really super nice about the whole thing.

TRS said...

I'm glad your experience was good.
Of course it helps that Charolette is adorable and that you are beautiful!!
My friend - that I referenced earlier... is also a beautiful woman... and I think getting on a plane with two babies was the first time ever that people looked at her with an expression that wasn't admiration!
And like I said... I'm never around babies so I find them intriguing ... and because of my friends I understand what a struggle it is to fly with a baby so I approach it with a helpful attitude - trying to help entertain the baby so that mom can relax.
I'd guess on any plane you're facing 50/50 people who sympathize with you and those that dread what your kid might do!

The Barkers said...

I hate being the parent that everyone is looking at thinking, "Why can't that woman get her kid under control?" Gladly, I have only encountered that once, and it was on our most recent flight, on which my child was almost two years old and I was alone. Grrrrrr. Glad to hear you survived the trip! P.S. For future flights with an older baby, two words: Sticker Book. They will be occupied for hours.

Maggie said...

Sticker book! Great idea! Did you have to buy a seat for her or is she still young enough to not have to?

The Barkers said...

You don't have to buy them their own seats until they turn two. Although, at a year-and-three-quarters, it's almost worth it just to bite the bullet and get them their own seat.