Saturday, December 04, 2010

Tis The Season

Tonight Dan is on his way home from Nebraska. He interviewed there today. So I sit in this drafty old house, feeling the cold wind rush through the front door (something we'll get around to fixing one of these days) and think about interview season. That is what our lives revolve around right now. We are in interview season and everything else seems to have, well not taken a back seat really, but changed somehow, to accommodate. Christmas seems to be tucked in between Penn State and The University of Washington.

My husband is so smart and capable. I have no doubt in my mind about his ability to accomplish his goals. The Lord has truly blessed him with his skills and also an understanding of the lifestyle commitments that will come along with being a good doctor. It is something that takes a special type of service. I am only coming to realize how perfectly he will fit into his career as our lives unfold. What I am learning about him, he already knows.

That peace and confidence seems to pervade him through this whole process and I so admire it. He finds joy in the successes of his fellow classmates, even when he experiences set backs. That humility and faith, to me, has been the most precious lesson of this season in our lives.

Has this experience been quite so emotional and humbling for anyone else? I feel that questions enter my head that create conflicting desires on an almost daily basis. What if he gets an interview there? What if he doesn't? What if we end up living there? How can I help to support him and prepare our family for what is completely unknown to me? Part of me can't wait to unfurl the sails and speed into the next phase and the other wants to drop anchor and stay in this beautiful moment in our lives.

I have also learned of my own areas that require improvement. I keep desiring for the faith to let the Lord direct our lives. I suppose faith or no He's doing the directing anyway. My faith must then be that if we do our part He will bring to pass what will be for our good. On top of that I must have the humility to stop worrying about anyone else. There are so very many good things that can happen for us no matter where we end up.

What a very wonderful and rich season of our lives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is great wisdom in your comments. The relationship that you and Dan have developed is a firm foundation for your eternal partnership. The Lord wants us to seek and search earnestly, and then have the faith to move forward on the path He opens for us.
We feel truly blessed to share in this quest with you in some small part. Thank you, Maggie for blessing us with your love. This time of struggle that you two are facing together will lead to a richness and depth of love for each other that you can only glimpse at present- and, yes, there are still challenges ahead, but there is nothing you can not accomplish as long as you keep the Savior first in all your doings.
Love you
John

dad said...

You have always wanted to know what is around the next corner. It is a blessing to me that you have found a pertner that has faith and also confidence in the Lord. Follow him and all will be well. He blesses all our lives.

Dan's mom said...

Match time is hard - after all the hard work & study, travel & interviews, some big immpersonal computer/numbercruncher has your future for the next 5-7 years in it's blinking circuits. You have "bloomed" beautifully in St Louis, a place you were unfamiliar with & that was "far away". I know you will continue to grow where ever Dan is matched. The two of you are so well matched - he's a planner & you like plans- that you will do well & move forward. It is a strange time, this half & half world where you & the kids are living a "real life" while Dan is still in school & training for his "real professional life." Hold on to what you know is true and right and "all things shall work for[your] good."