Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Frustrations

First off, I'm not crazy. I maintain that it is not crazy to want my children to coordinate in their Easter outfits and also for my son to have a shirt and tie. The holiday is on a Sunday. Every year. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard.

Second off, thanks to grandmas and aunts, I have very rarely had to purchase any clothing for either of my children. We are all so grateful for that. They have much better clothing than we could afford.

Third off, we had heard nothing about Easter outfits from anyone. I figured this year must be the first year I've got to figure this one out on my own. Not so hard I figured. Hahahaha! Not so hard! What a joke. Target had a slew of little girls Easter dresses on sale thanks to my procrastination. I found one that was appropriately cute and had other colors than just pink in it. There had to be some pink because Charlotte was with me and helping me pick one out, but I needed another color to coordinate with Greg's tie.

Then we had a week long torturous running around trying to find a white button up shirt and green tie. Also we needed new church shoes, mostly just for Greg, but I really wanted to find some cheap white ones for Charlotte. That way they would match her white Easter hat.

Why do boys get the short end of the stick with cute church clothing? Or really any Sunday appropriate clothing? Do manufacturers think boys can show up in wrinkly casual clothing to anything and be fine? Ridiculous! I found oodles of things that were adorable for Charlotte she even got new lace trimmed socks. Greg? I compromised by finding a white button up shirt without a tie and then getting a shirt and tie set at JCP. The set was a blue shirt with yellow tie. I figured I could use white shirt yellow tie. It wasn't my original idea, but it would work even though there's no yellow (or blue) in Charlotte's dress at all.

Then we went on to find shoes. We spent approximately 5 minutes in payless shoes before we found the white shoes of Charlotte's dreams. (Mom! they have jewels!) Remember she doesn't really NEED shoes, but they were on sale and cute so we got them. Greg, who has zero church shoes that fit found zero new church shoes that fit. They had exactly one option that he started screaming about as soon as it was on his foot and they weren't even that cute to begin with.

So for Easter, my daughter will have a brand spanking new out fit from head to toe that I absolutely love and my son, through no lack of searching, has whatever works and is shoeless.

5 comments:

Janelle Dobson said...

For future reference. There's this website "makeitandloveit.blog" where she shows a tutorial on how to make suspenders and little bow ties for boys. Super cute, and you're such a crafty, resourcful person I'm sure you could handle it. Look under tutorials. Not that you need it any more....but just so ya know.

Dan's mom said...

Unfortunately, this inequity is not all that new - it often took a trip to Nordstrom in Tacoma (90 miles from Aberdeen) to find shirt & tie Sunday clothes for the Daddy. JCP & other stores in Utah do better since they have a customer base that buys such things. I dodged the issue for awhile by making Sunday outfits - but that was when little boys could be tieless (I still have a few of those upstairs.....)as long as they were in cute outfits. Tucson was great for the shoe problem - until nusery & sometimes Primary, little kids could go barefoot & no one complained.
This year Easter is so late that it has gotten lost in "the May trip" planning on this end -sorry. Will promise to do better.

Katie said...

Hey,

I took a picture MONTHS ago of a dress that I wanted to get for Charlotte for Easter. I emailed it to you for approval and never heard back.

MSmith said...

...and Little Greg will probably be full of joy! I'd go shoeless on Sunday if I could get away with it. Hmmm...perhaps I'll try.

Unknown said...

It's so true about there not being ANY baby boy's church clothes! I haven't even really bothered looking for any for Finn yet because none of it will probably fit him. I'm sure they will look way cute!