Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Like My Kids

My kids are a bit overwhelming right now. Greg says "No" automatically to everything. He is two after all. Charlotte seems to be experimenting with being mad at her parents. I keep thinking that we should be settled and established right now, but, of course, that's crazy. I don't feel like I'm settled. I'm sure my kids don't feel settled right now either. All this has made for a few days where my kids say, "I'm bored" and I say, "So am I!" Having all of us bored makes for more negative interactions all around. Then Dan comes home exhausted and we all turn to him wanting him to entertain us, which isn't fair.

With all of this going on I feel like I've had a lot of complaining about my kids in my heart, on my mind, and slipping out my mouth.

Tonight at dinner I asked everyone what their favorite part of the day was. Dan said coming home. I said painting with Charlotte and Charlotte said cuddling with me while we watched a movie.

Here's what I realized today. Not only do I love my kids, I like them. I think they're fun. I want them to know that I want to spend time with them. I never want them to think that I don't want them around. There will be a time when they no longer want to spend time with me, I don't want that to come sooner because they think I don't want to spend time with them.

I will try to remember that vocalizing things make them much more frustrating to me. And also that little ears hear more than I think and they understand sooner than I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Charolette to reserve the "best in show" paintings for our visit in Sept- I'm sure their value will have skyrocketed by then.
Internship is a 1 year hazing that buys your ticket to the next level, but also lays the foundation for everything else. Hang in there- we pray for you every day.
Grandpa John

Mindy said...

You always have such great insight into mothering and your children. I, on the other hand, have been struggling with the realization that I don't even like my kid right now. I love him, but he is so terribly difficult that he seems to poison our family relationships and interactions by being angry, negative and naughty most of the time (it seems). I have heard of people going through phases of their children's lives when they don't like them. The kids have grown out it, eventually, and I find myself longing for the time that he has grown out of this phase of his life. I'm sure it's a process, it doesn't happen over night, and I don't want to wish away my kid's childhood, since I know it will be over far before I'm ready. I really do hope that I can find some more joy in his childhood, and I appreciate your thoughts about your own children. We miss you guys terribly!

MSmith said...

You is a good momma!