Thursday, July 07, 2011

Serious Stuff To Laugh About

Oh boy, night shifts are hard on the family! Or maybe it has just been a hard week, I'm not sure. Here are some of the thoughts I have had this week that hopefully I can laugh about now.

First, and not surprisingly Charlotte got sick after the fourth of July (which was amazing and lovely). Tuesday night I got about four hours of totally interrupted sleep. I was actually pretty scared by the severity of the puking this time, but all is well now. At around 4 AM I was holding Charlotte in our green chair so she could sleep upright. I was thinking about how I could never be a breaking and entering type of burglar because you never know what's on the other side of the door. Like in our house that night, some unsuspecting thief could walk in and then have Charlotte puke all over him. No, I did not think about how those people would probably be worried more about guns or knives. It was the possibility of being puked on.

Secondly, there have also been a lot of runny noses in our house. I'm thinking allergies, but since I've never taken them to be tested for that type of thing I don't know. Yesterday I was busy washing anything that may have touched the sick one. I walked by the sofa, where the sick one was told to not move from, and saw that one of the sofa pillows looked funny. I picked it up and there was green boogers all over the thing. Not wanting to jump to conclusions I asked who had done this. Then the sweet little chocolate eyes looked up to me and said, "I did it mama. My nose needed to be wiped." As if that's a totally normal thing to do when you're nose is running. I thought perhaps when I ask that I need to have a more menacing tone. Perhaps that would strike fear into her.

Lastly, Greg broke my kitchenaid mixer this morning. Honest first reaction: let the beating commence. Unfortunately I don't actually believe in beating my kids, which I guess is a good thing since I would have missed out on dress up time today. He decided to wear a cape, mardi gras beads, a tie, a diaper, princess heels and carry a purse.

4 comments:

Dan's mom said...

Wow - he must be one tough kid - those mixers are hard to break (call Kitchen-aide & see where it can be fixed.) I feel bad for everyone that all of Charlotte's upsets go straight to her tummy & it would serve any burgler right to get barfed on. I always figured if they came in through one of the kids' rooms, they would just leave, thinking that the place had already been burgled- or ransacked. Do you have a picture of Greggie's dressup day? I'm sure it was quite an outfit.
Corso is a boy after Greggies' own heaat - he LOVES the small trackhoe that the landscapers have been using in the backyard. Every day when they leave & I let him loose in the yard, he runs over to it, circles & plops down under it. Yesterday they moved it out & left it on the street. When Corso went out front he spotted it & ran right over to it. The boy loves big mechanical toys - who knew?
I don't know if night call gets easier but you will get used to dealing with it.

Unknown said...

Man, sorry about the puking!! As a mother of a TRUE puking child I can empathize with you. Finn still pukes on a consistent basis (like once a week or so). Not "spit-up" (he never did that) projectile vomit everywhere. It is horrible. We're taking him to see a gastroenterologist next month. Sorry about your Kitchen Aid mixer... Sad day ): Hopefully it can be fixed?

Anonymous said...

I still remember Marci telling about Tyler screaming that Hilary had "slimmed him". At least she didn't put the buggers on the sofa pillow.
g-jane

MSmith said...

Sounds like fun mothering :)