Sunday, June 24, 2012

One Day, One Hug, One Smile

After that last post I thought I'd better remind myself of some of the things that have brought me unbelievable happiness, joy, and quiet.

Although the dishes aren't my favorite, something that is my favorite is the view out of my kitchen window.  I live in a beautiful country.  Doing the dishes the other night, when it was quiet, after bedtime, I had the chance to watch the sun set beyond the corn farms and my soul gave thanks for the beauty that surrounds me every day.

My daughter loves to listen to stories.  There was an afternoon last week when Greg, exhausted from the week, managed a nap and Lee was asleep at the same time.  Charlotte and I got to snuggle and read together.  Love, right there.

Greg has decided to give "tight hugs" as part of our bedtime routine and it feels like a shot of love going right to my bones.  In fact, the entire bedtime routine, with the not listening to reading scriptures, sucking on the toothbrush brushing teeth, and small wrestling match hugs and kisses does tend to warm my heart.  It was designed to calm kids down but usually it feels a bit more like controlled chaos.  And I love it.

Saturday we went to the beach of a little man made lake.  The sky was overcast, the weather was threatening rain, and the kids had goose bumps.  But you know what?  It didn't slow the kids down one bit and together with our friends, we were the only ones there.  They frolicked in the water, dug in the sand, and ate lunch on the blanket I packed.  We had a blast, came back covered in sand and smiles.

And there is nothing better than the smiles of my children.  They motivate me to work hard, love long, and enjoy what I'm doing.  I am amazed by the strong feelings I get when my kids smile at me.  They are much beyond my abilities to communicate to anyone else.

So, no, we're not picture perfect right now.  We are rough around the edges and maybe a little bit sticky in spots, but we are also full of love, peace, joy and happiness.

2 comments:

Dan's mom said...

Life is always a "work in progress" and as anyone who has encounterred my sewing room knows, works in progress can be messy.....Life is the journey & finding joy in that journey, however frustrating, messing or annoying, makes all the difference. I see you knew that already.

Anonymous said...

You have lots of fun. I would love to be one of your kids!
g0-jane