Saturday, September 15, 2012

Great Things For Kids

Recommendations from Greg:
You know what is so much easier for 2-5 year old boys to play with than a wooden track?  The Chuggington interactive railway system.  The tracks snap together so they don't fall apart while Greg is playing with them.  I had no idea about these because we have a boat load of brio trains from when Dan was little.  Our brio train set is amazing, but the problem is that when playing with them the track falls apart and constantly has to be fixed.  Then Aunt Katie got a small set of two trains and a small track.  I have watched small boys put these tracks together by themselves and play with them by themselves and ask where more track was.
Greg received one of these automoblox cars for his birthday.  It wasn't a roaring success right off the bat.  In fact I thought he wouldn't ever really care about it.  Boy was I wrong!  He loves taking this car apart and putting it back together.  He likes to roll it down the stairs on a cardboard "track."  He likes to put it back crazy sometimes too.  The only drawback is that he has about a million other cars that are on a totally different scale than this one car.

Recommendations from Charlotte:
Charlotte loves to listen to books and has recently started really enjoying chapter books.  We happened on Junie B Jones and fell in love.  This is the first series of kids books that I have read ahead simply because I couldn't wait to get to the next part.  We love this series!  We only have about 4 books left of the entire series.  Also, we started reading the series last summer and I think it really helped to prep Charlotte for Kindergarten with the idea of a school bus, a principal, and class time weren't too scary for her.


So those are some things we're loving around our house these days.  Do you have any that you think we should try?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally want both of those for Finn! I know what you mean about the tracks falling appart... Dumb. I have seen those cars at toy stores and have been tempted to get Finn one. He LOVES cars! One of Finn's favorite toys is his gear toy. It's a bunch of magnetic gears that you attatch together and they all move each other on a type of thing like a Magnadoodle.. Kind of hard to explain...

Dan's mom said...

Very timely post.

Maggie said...

Hilary-I think I know what you mean, but do you have a name or something for the toy so I can look it up. It sounds really cool. I'm sure it would be something both Greg and eventually Lee would enjoy.

dad said...

Taylormaid makes great toys for girls and boys.

Katie said...

Yea!

Garrett and I got both of those things for Greg! We are so cool.

The best part about those automoblox cars is that they're interchangable so if someone else wants to get him one so he'll have more parts to switch out it'd be awesome.