Thursday, September 06, 2012

Wisdom From My Mom

My mom has always told me that from the time your baby is born your job is to get them strong enough to leave you.  You work and you sacrifice and you work some more in the hopes that at some point they wont need you to work for them anymore.

This week was the first tiny flight out of the nest for both my little birdies.

Greg was easy.  Preschool co-op isn't really a whole lot different than having playtime at a friend's house.  Oh, and this month it's at our house so it isn't really even out of the nest...yet.
Nothing says first day of school like a spider shirt!
 Kindergarten.  Now that's another story.  After taking her first day of school photo she and I walked hand in hand down to the elementary school.  I knew there wouldn't be too many more first days of school that she would be willing to hold my hand the whole way so I savored the moment.
I kept thinking Go!  Enjoy! Have as much fun as you possibly can!  But not too much fun.  I want you to come back to me.  Go! Learn! This is your chance to explore!  But not too quickly because I love watching you discover things with me.  Go! Create!  But not too much because I want to see all that you do.

Mostly I was just excited for her.  Mostly I was excited for me.  Mostly I couldn't wait to begin.  But partly? Partly I wanted to hold on to that little hand and never let it go.  And then I remembered my mom's words: from the time your baby is born your job is to get them strong enough to leave you.

Fly little girl!  Soar to the sky!  I'll be right here when you need to land.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

goodness gracious Maggie you almost made me cry reading this

lulu said...

Good for you! Charlotte is an exceptional girl. There are far more experiences that she'd rather have with you anyway.

Katie said...

You did make me cry. I love that little girl so much my heart feels like it will burst!

I was so excited and nervous for her ALL DAY!

Anonymous said...

What a wise mother. You will pass it on.
g-jane