Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Lessons on Starfish

Today in Sea Creatures we made starfish masks. Before we started the project I thought we should talk a little about starfish. This is how the conversation went:
Me: "Raise your hand if there's something you'd like to share that you know about starfish. Acer (Yes, that is some child's name) what do you know?"
Acer: "Starfish live in the water."
Me: "That's right! (I'm excited because this comment actually applies to starfish) Diego, what do you know about starfish?"
Diego: "I saw a starfish once, I got to touch it."
Me: "Oh, well that's nice. Sara, what do you know?"
Sara: "When they're out of the water they're dead."
Allison: "Yeah, and when my daddy bought me one the arms fell off real easy."
At this point I decided that we had "learned" enough about starfish and went on with the project. At the end when we were wrapping up and the parents were there to pick up their kids I thought we should try to learn something again about starfish, hopefully the idea that they live in the water was one they could remember. So I ask, "What did we learn about starfish today?" Acer excitedly yells out, "When they're dead their arms fall off real easy!" Great, just what the parents wanted to hear.

No comments: