Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Holiday Festivities

I was reading my sister's blog yesterday and it hit apon something I've really been thinking about lately--the holidays and money. I know this is a big stresser for many people this time of the year. Personally I find it to be rather hard to go into the holiday season without the money I would like to have to buy Christmas presents. I feel that right now in my life I am more poor than I have ever been before. Also with the way my future is looking I'm only going to get even more poor.

Here's the catch though, I have found more things for my family this year than ever before. In the past I've always been in the "What do I get them?" frame of mind. This year, I haven't even been to the mall to look for stuff for presents, but I know all the things I would LIKE to get for my family.

Also, I feel that I don't want to get much from my family. I mean there are things that I know would be really nice to get, but let's face it, my family is spending tons of money on me already. Do I really need anything more? I already have so much.

Even with all of these feelings running through my brain, I am looking forward to this holiday season more than I have since I got to college. I don't know why, but along with missing Dan right now, I miss my family even more. All the traditions, and all the security. I simply can't wait to have time to just be with my family. I mean no family is perfect, but mine is pretty awesome. I think they are great people to be around. I feel so homesick! I can't wait to go home! I love the holidays! It really is the most wonderful time of the year!

5 comments:

katezmom said...

Well now, I think that you're pretty amazing too! Poor is just an attitude and I think that those that love you can't even imagine that you are poor. You give so much to others all the time. I can't wait to see you Tuesday!

Katie said...

Baby, all I want for Christmas is for someone else to wash and vaccuum my car...it's gross.

I love you SOOOOO much and can't wait to see you on Tuesday!

Heather said...

Mags, have you always spelt upon with an 'a' as an apon - I noticed you wrote it 'apon' in your blog and Katie's, so just wondering...
Also my mom decided that the kids would draw names in my family so that each kid would only have to buy one present for a sibling. She says she thinks this will work good for me with my tight college budget. Then when I am rich I can start buying presents for everyone again. My mom thinks I'm going to be loaded when I'm older and I'll buy her a mansion in Hawaii. It turns out that I want to be a teacher, so unless they start increasing a teacher's salary exponentially, it's not going to happen.

Maggie said...

Heather, I like to spell it apon instead of the correct spelling, upon. Something I've always done, it'll probably never change, unless I somehow need to be putting that word on a resume or something professional like that.

As far as drawing names in my family we usually give presents for all the extended family on my mom's side as well as the immediate family. I don't think I'll be able to do that this season. Drawing names would only decrease my present amout by one. With three kids in the family it's not that hard to get presents for all of them. That's a plus on the side of smaller sized families.

Maggie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.