Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I'm A Girl

Recently I have noticed an opinion in myself and those around me that is quite startling. I'm not sure how or when this opinion was formed but it has been firmly intrenched in the attitude of those around me. What is this upsetting opinion you might ask? Well, I'll tell you. It is the opinion that being girly is not ok. I understand that being ANNOYINGLY girly is, well....annoying. Talking really loud in a group of girls and squealing and making noises of that sort kind of makes me want to vomit. (I used to do this, but I have found the actions not to my liking.) I don't recommend that to anyone.

I think this opinion arises from the perspective that to be girly means to be annoying/brainless. I propose a different view. To be girly means to be a girl. There's not a girl I know that doesn't get excited when someone she's interested in shows some interest back. Also to be a girl can mean lots of other things including, being compassionate, clever, classy, and chic.

I understand the negative attitude displayed about being girly. I have just one thing to add though. I'M A GIRL! I like being a girl. I like sitting down when I pee. Also, I like getting excited when a boy likes me. I like feeling comfortable falling asleep in a boy's arms. I like getting excited to see a boy that I love. I don't think that there is anything wrong with any of these. So let me ask you all out there, is being a girl wrong? I say no. I'm going to keep on being a girl. That doesn't mean that I'm going to go around giggling mindlessly or making that sighing noise during a romantic movie.

I guess the bottom line here is: I'm a girl so it's ok if I'm girly.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maggie said...

Did anyone else notice the spacing on my blog? Yeah, I think it's awesome too.

Anth said...

Hi, I am one of Katie's friends from college, we met once I think ages ago when you were a freshman. Anyway, she mentioned your post on her blog, so I came over to check it out, and here's what I have to say: Hear, hear! Sometimes there is this not-so-subtle vibe from the world that being girly is not ok. It bugs me sometimes. But the older I get, the more I meet other women who have embraced their femininity and are also totally smart, clever, what have you. So I am really getting more comfortable expressing my femininity more openly, and it's a blast! And to any people who try to give me the anti-girl vibe, I just toss my hair and give them what my husband would call my "F you" face. Those people suck. Being a girl is so awesome!

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joel said...

well said, i think girls that dont act like girls need help. so the fact that you are a girl and act like one is a good thing. :)

fMhLisa said...

I came here from your sister's site too. Great questions. I won't bore you by repeating everything I posted over there, or maybe I will, but please, do not be ashamed of being girly.

Being girly is who women are. The fact that we feel that this is silly or annoying is a direct result of the fact that we don't value women. Women care about relationships, we care about emotions, we care about community. Those are the things that make the world worth living in. They're not silly, they're not worthless. They're just as (perhaps more) important than the things men find important, sports and violence and making money and gaining dominance.

Flaunt your girly side, love it, refuse to be believe it's silly. You'll be doing us all a favor.

jexebel said...

I know, it's impossible to balance gender roles and get something that's just ringht.

the narrator said...

OMG!!!

YOU ARE A GIRL!!!

luv ya mags

David said...

hey miss maggie. i am sam. i'm david's brother. how old are you? are you cute? is he gonna kill me when he finds out about this? my remembrance is that you live far away anyhow. oh well...just expressing some interest like you...oh wait, nevermind, you said when someone you're interested in shows some interest back. forget it. io mi chiamo samuel.