Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing

I learned how to type as a small child with a computer program called Mavis Beacon. It was pretty much the most boring thing ever except for the two games it had on it. The first was to teach you the ten key pad and you were at the grocery store and you had to type in the price of the item scanned before the next one came or it didn't get to go in the bag. The second one was a race car one. You tried to type the words along the top of the screen and the faster you typed the faster you went as you raced. If you made a mistake a bug smashed on your windsheild and if you messed up too much eventually you wouldn't be able to see. It was pretty awesome.

The new typing in the letters you see to make a comment on someone's post reminds me much of Mavis Beacon because if I'm going too fast and I don't read all the letters I don't get to have my comment posted. Then I have to try again. I don't know if I like that.

2 comments:

Russ said...

They should definitely upgrade to the bug-splattering effect when you mistype the "word verification." I have two problems with that designation: 1)they're not even real words and 2)they're so scrambled I can hardly read them anyway.

Maggie said...

I agree with Russ competely. If they were words I could just read the word and type it, but it takes way too much concentration for that little device.