Monday, March 06, 2006

Conundrum

I just got back the grade for my lab notebook. I knew it wasn't going to be that good because I actually forgot part of the way through the term that I needed to be taking notes in it. Consequently I had to go back and fill in a lot of holes. Well, my grade was worse than expected. Much, much worse. While looking at the rubric for grading (which was not handed out before the assignment, and thus I find to be a mean, mean trick) I see that I got marked down for things I CLEARLY included in my notebook. I can go through and highlight sections of included information and whatnot. Should I:
  1. Go in and argue for those 8 points back, even though my grade on the notebook would still be bad. These 8 points could mean the difference between an A and a B (I don't count -/+ since that was never counted while I was growing up).
  2. Figure that getting a B in the class is just fine since all I have to do is graduate. Let the whole thing go and ignore the headache. Plus I hate to be the person that argues for points back. It just makes me feel like a leech.
I have the remainder of the week to decide so any input would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Heather said...

If it were me, you know what I would do. But my husband isn't a perfectionist when it comes to school, so I don't have that positive influence.
If it makes you feel better I finally got an "Awesome" at the testing center this past weekend.

Katie said...

I'd go ask for the points. More likely than not the grader was just going really fast and missed it.

When you talk to them be very nice and cooperative. Assume that they just didn't notice, not that they did it on purpose.

Katie said...

I'm with the other Katie. I mean, you EARNED them...it's not like you're arguing for something you don't deserve.