Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Mandolin?

So I ended up getting some money for my birthday. Quite a bit more than I thought I would actually. I have enough to realistically LOOK at purchasing a mandolin. I decided I wanted to learn the mandolin a while ago, but figured it would come in the future, after all the other things I wanted. Now I have enough not to fully purchase one, but I bet I could look around and I would only have to save up for a couple of months or something like that. Plus, my sweet, sweet husband said, "Well we did just get our tax returns." When I brought up the idea. I'm super excited, but here is what's keeping me from right out doing this.

  1. I really want to buy a new pair of shoes to wear with my new Sunday outfit my sister bought me. Brown, leather, nice for Sunday. I haven't looked around yet, but I'm sure that would take up a big hunk of change.
  2. If I get the mandolin I will really need to be serious about learning it. Yes, I would do it, but it is a pretty big commitment.
So here's the question. Are those two hang-ups justified or should I just move ahead with the mandolin idea?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you choose to wait a bit & research mandolins, there is a great music store in Ashland. Maybe someone could make that a graduation gift on the trip to Ashland after graduation?

Anonymous said...

Is there a difference between a fiddle and a violin?

Maggie said...

Technically the bridge and fingerboard of a fiddle is flatter than a violin to facilitate playing multiple strings at a time. In practice though there's not much difference, most people don't even know that there is a difference.

Kim Dubois said...

Those hang-ups are NOT justified! You should definitely move ahead with the mandolin idea. Definitely.