Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Pope, The Love, The Let Down

Well, I haven't posted this past week because I was up in Puyallup looking after my two nieces while my family was in England. I will have to say that it was TONS of fun! I enjoyed myself immensely. I realized that you don't have to have things planned to have fun with kids/pre-teens, you just need to be creative. One day we went to the park and found a little stream. We decided it needed boats to float down it so we went home and made boats a couple of days later out of cardboard, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, popsicle sticks (yes we had to eat two popsicles each and that's why it took a couple of days to make the boat), glue, and wax paper. They were great fun!

Also I learned the real reason that Santa lives in the North Pole is to escape from the hammer head sharks. They can attack people and hurt them a lot/kill them, but they can't live in cold water. Naturally it follows that Santa is one smart cookie for living in the North Pole.

I also forgot to post earlier that I found out my friend Holly is getting married to her highschool sweetheart in September! YEAH! I hope I can attend!

Just a little tidbit, I found a lovely photo of the pope on my brother's fridge. Kind of confusing, but whatever.

Lastly, my husband heard back the final decision from UW the other day. He's an excellent candidate, but the competition was tough this year so they can't accept him or put him on an alternate list. What a let down! My initial, and childish reaction was, "UW is stupid! Who wants to go there anyway!" I almost cried on my train ride home, but I was surrounded by very chatty women so I didn't really get a chance to worry too much. Today, after digesting the news, my Sweetie said to me, "I didn't really feel like I was going to get in there. When I went to Loma Linda I really felt good about everything." So obviously we've moved our sights to California. (Not my favorite, but I'm pretty sure it's better than living in Nebraska. Although I've never lived in either place.) It would have been better to know about his thoughts and feelings earlier so I didn't invest so much energy in UW! I had already made plans in my head and I had to put them aside. Still I know that we're doing the right thing with our life and it will work out for the best no matter where we go. The worst part of the whole thing was that my family was out of the country so I couldn't call any of them!

Speaking of the train I was supposed to get from Tacoma to Albany at 7 pm last night. Guess what time I got in. 10pm! Yes, I was on the train from 2:30 to 10 yesterday. This is because we got stopped by all conceivable traffic. We stopped 5 times for freight trains to pass! Also we had to stop because a bridge had been lifted to let a tug boat through. For about an hour we had to go around 10 mph because we were following another stupid train. And to top it all off we had to stop because there was a woman laying on the tracks! Well, I'm glad we were able to stop on that last one, but all the others I could have skipped. At least I was sitting by some fun and interesting people! Plus there was a lounge car where I bought some cranberry juice.

To end on a good note, I realized when I got home how much I love my husband. Last night he was pretty much as down as he could be, and yet he was still the greatest person ever in my eyes. He is so great! I love him so much and I'm so glad to know I made the right decision when I married him!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you gave him many hugs, not that it will make up for the disappointment, but it does help. Also, I think UW is stupid! What more could they ask for?! Well, at least if you go to Loma Linda you'll have some family around--Jeff is pretty cool. Love and miss you guys.

Heather said...

Matt and I hope we end up in California, so I wouldn't mind it if you guys ended up there, although I do understand your disappointment. I hope everything works out for the best.

Katie said...

Crappy! Tell him that I love him and think he is the best future doctor out there.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a native Nebraskan, I'm offended!

Nebraska isn't so bad. (now that I'm in Denver I realize that Nebraska winters pretty much suck - but other than that...)

So what's he looking at? Med School? UNMC or Creighton? (Ha, I suppose a Jesuit School could rub you the wrong way -) but both schools are excellent.

The worst thing about Nebraska (admittedly...) is that there are no direct flights anywhere. Other than that it's a great state! Omaha can be fun.

Maggie said...

TRS-
You have no idea how good it is to hear someone actually say good things about Nebraska! He's looking at Creighton. I'm almost positive that my husband would rather live in Nebraska than California, but we'll pretty much go anywhere at this point.

Anonymous said...

Most of the people who ever say anything about Nebraska ... have never been there. They're just blabbing on assumption.

for exapmple: only half of the state is flat. there are hills in the eastern half! And if you don't get off the interstate of course you won't see anything interesting!

Sorry about Creighton. Good luck with the wait.