Thursday, April 20, 2006

Wine Pairing

So in sensory evaluation class today we have a guest lecturer talking about wine pairing (that means what wine goes with what food). I informed my prof that I don't drink and she said, "That's ok, just go and enjoy the session." This means that I don't have to drink. That wasn't really my concern though as I knew I would be drinking whatever she said. My question is who would think that someone that doesn't drink and is never around alcohol would "enjoy" a lecture about wine pairing? I have no idea what it means to have a wine tannin be over-powering. How does a "nutty" wine taste? Or a buttery wine? I know what grapes taste like and I know what butter tastes like, but I assume that's not really what the wine tastes like. If it were, that would be gross. Now we're going in for an activity, which I assume is drinking wine, describing it and eventually matching it with food. At least I can eat the food so I guess all is not lost.

3 comments:

Katie said...

It's true that you'll never need to know what wine goes with what dish, but I wish I understood better which wines will cook into the best sauces. I wish I knew the difference between a Marsala and a Miedra and how it would affect my meat that I'm cooking in it. Wine isn't good for drinking (for us), but when added to a really hot sauce pan and the alcohol is all cooked out makes a kickin pork chop!

Anonymous said...

A wine magazine or wine secton of Sunset, bon appetit or even cooking light magazines can help with information on wines. The amount of sugars is one big factor as well as white or red; these sources can help you identify basic information on wines. Some stores even sell half bottles (william's Seafood here in Spokane is one) which is nice for cooking. Some folks still frown on cooking with wine, so choose your guest carefully!

Anonymous said...

Along that same note, I wonder how everyone felt about the dessert I served for Easter dinner---a to die-for chocolate cake with a significant amount of coffee in it. Oh well. Cooking with wine or other liquers can add great flavor, but be careful with real rum cake. I once had several pieces of a rum cake that didn't have all of the rum cooked out--thought I was going to have to call my husband to come pick me up. How embarrassing!