Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Ball of Bugs

I love that my husband does the dishes! He doesn't do them all the time, but he pulls his weight in that category. I'm so fortunate! The only drawback is that when he's done doing the dishes he takes the washcloth rings it out and leaves in on the side of the sink in a tight ball. I inevitably find it hours later or the next morning smelling of bacterial growth. Why doesn't he hang it up to dry? I don't want to criticize him because he just did the dishes. I want to encourage that sort of activity. It drives me nuts that he does this though. He's taken microbiology, he knows what can grow in a warm, moist environment. It's really gross. Do I just be quiet and learn to live with the fact that everytime he does the dishes I will just need to take that washcloth and put it in the laundry? Should I bring this up to him? I know it's really not that big a deal. It just grosses me out.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Sick sick, I can't even touch a rag like that because I know it stinks and then everytime I touch my hand to my nose I will smell the stinky rag (I have a really strong smeller) I would tell Dan too. Just make sure to also tell him how much you appreciate him doing the dishes.

Anonymous said...

There are a couple of ways to look at this - he HAS just done the dishes- without nagginf or begging. He was raised with dishwashers, so pans were washed with scrubbies & sponges & papertowels were used on counteres - no dishclothes, so he has no training in rinsing & hanging to dry. You can non-critically train him ("I love it when you do the dishes - it makes me feel like a princess. Could you please hang the dishcloth over the faucet when you finish?")or you can train yourself to rinse & hang when he is done, appreciating what he has done & not wanting to be critical of his efforts (many men react to such criticism by never doing the job again.) It is really about your attitude toward his contribution to the household chores. He will have MUCH less time in the future, so enjoy his efforts now & hang up the dishcloth yourself if you need that to make the job complete. Also, men are generally less sensitive to smells, so that arguement proably won't work & hinting that he didn't get much out of microbiology will insult him.

Maggie said...

Thanks for all the insight. I brought it up with him and he said he'd hang it up. Now if he doesn't I'll just have to do it.

Anonymous said...

HaHa you're kind of like my mom. It drives her nuts too. just get a nifty little hook to hang it on, if you don't have one already. He might be like my dad and will never learn. sorry.
your cous
rache