Monday, May 01, 2006

The Roses are Red and Other News

Let's start with the other news:
This weekend my husband recieved a letter from Loma Linda saying that he's been put on the unranked waitlist and we may or may not get an acceptance anytime between now and, get this, AUGUST 3rd. Surprisingly I took this news much worse than Daniel. I flipped my lid. This is merely because I've been holding off on my plans until we figure out what's happening with him. After calming down and discussing it at length for two full days and also a little prayer we came up with our plan of action. (We have a plan!) We're definitely going to plan on going to Logan in July. Dan wanted to take his name off the waitlist today, but his parents prudently pointed out that there's no reason to burn the bridge right now. The official deadline for applicants to declare where they're going is May 15th and the most movement off of the waitlist onto the acceptance list will be within that week so we'll wait to the end of that week and then Dan will strike the match and we wont look back. Here's the reasoning behind the plan:
  • Dan can get research experience this year which will make him a much stronger applicant than last year.
  • After going through the process once he sees where he may have not presented himself the strongest and can correct that next year.
  • We'll have time to take off and just work and be together.
  • In my mind, medical school is a big comittment. I didn't want my husband making that comittment just because it's the next step in his plan. He should be excited and anticipating doing this. He's not excited about Loma Linda. He didn't want his dad's PA to call to see if he can influence the comittee any. That seemed weird to me because I know that if it were for UW he would TOTALLY want him to do that.
  • In 30 years from now taking one year off wont be that detrimental to us. In fact we may look back on this year as one of the best things for us.
That's just a few of the reasons and they're not explained very well, but it's what I could get out right now. I can't tell you how excited I am to have a plan!

In other, other news:
I was in class (full of seniors majoring in Food Science) when the topic of discussion was on Ash content in food. Keep in mind that we had already discussed the processing of ashing the previous lecture. The process goes like this. Burn the food product so that no organic matter is left in it. Then determine the difference in weight from beginning to end and that's your ash component. (Sorry for the explination, but it's important to the story.) The conversation this particular day went a little like this:

Prof: "We are always talking about ash this and ash that, but what is Ash? Does anyone know?"
Girl #1: "Carbon."
Prof: "No. Carbon is burned out as part of all the organic matter."
Girl #2: "Carbohydrates."

To which everyone laughed. These girls are SENIORS in food science and they don't know that organic matter by definition is composed of carbon. Also they don't know that CARBohydrates are made up of carbon! I couldn't believe it!

I have to go to class now so I guess I'm not going to post on the flowers on campus.

No comments: