Monday, July 31, 2006

Aberdeen, WA

This weekend my sister-in-law, her two children and I made a 15 hour drive from Utah to Washington to attend my other sister-in-law's wedding reception. Here were the pros and cons to the trip:

Pros
  • Rachael seemed to be so very happy to be married! The reception was enjoyable and it was kinda good to not be the newest member of the Whiting family.
  • My sister-in-laws kids were amazingly good to be in the car for a total of about 40 hours in three days.
  • My mother-in-law and father-in-law made the most impressive cake for the reception (like always) and it was great to see it.
  • It was great to see the other members of my husband's family. Heather and her kids were there and so were John and LeAnn. We all went to the Ocean after the reception and the kids played in the water until their numb little feet couldn't handle it anymore.

Cons
  • Both my sister-in-law and myself are pregnant so the drive took a little longer than we wanted it.
  • I have never felt so sick and confined in my life. I spent most of the time in the car concentrating on not barfing.
  • The not barfing was made harder when my sister-in-law's little girl barfed and we had to clean it out. We took turns cleaning out the car seat and walking away from the car to get air so as not to barf ourselves. Mostly I just felt so bad for her little girl though because she felt so sick and was crying so hard. It almost made me cry. Her son (4 years old) was so cute because when I asked him if he was sick he said, "No, but I am concerned." He was worried all night about his sister and tried to do everything to make her feel better. What a great brother!
  • Once we were in our room the first night we passed out from exhaustion at about midnight. The previous people to stay in our room had set the alarm and we were not aware of it until 5 AM the next morning when it went off. It woke up my sister-in-law's son and he never went back to sleep. He was SO EXCITED to go swimming with grandpa and his cousins that he bounced around the room for about 3 more hours when we finally gave up any chance of sleeping longer.
  • The first thing out of my brother-in-law's mouth was, "Looks like you're starting to show." I'm only 6 weeks along. I'm not showing yet.
  • I was so completely hormonal that I felt I shouldn't really open my mouth because I would probably say something I regretted. It's hard not to feel in control of yourself.
  • I will be making this same drive (UT to WA) in two weeks to attend my husband's best friend's wedding. At least it will just be the two of us. Hopefully the nausea will go down enough to let me sleep.
All in all it was a good trip. I don't know if I'd ever want to do the same trip again, but I am glad that I went. It was good to see and be with family. Just thought I'd catch everyone up on my weekend events.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course she is going to be a gorgeous pregnant woman and I bet that it will take quite awhile before she actually starts to show. You gotta love being 5'11.

It was so great to see you and Jenny this last weekend. But for the love, please don't wear those tall shoes anymore--just kidding.

Katie said...

You're not showing I'm sure. That's dumb.

Glad to hear everything went ok. I was worried about you having to drive that far with kids. That might put me right over the edge.