Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Grocery Shopping

I'm almost positive that this will be the most boring post I've ever written, but I wanted to know what others think about this topic. Grocery shopping is perhaps my very least favorite of activites. I am known to spend weeks just foraging through empty cupboards, inventing new dishes out of nothing until eventually I have to face the facts and go to the grocery store. This avoidance has been compounded with our current situation of being 30 minutes from the closest grocery store. In order to make sure I get everything we will need and also keep my time in the store to a minimum I make a two week eating schedule and then purchase only the ingredients that are on that list. Today at work I did the schedule and list on the computer. Now I feel like an obsessed, nerdy woman and walking around the store with my list might be too much for me. We'll have to see. My question is does anybody else hate to grocery shop? Does anyone else make a list of only the items that will be in the meals during the week? (I generally don't buy snack foods, not because I don't like to snack, or I don't want to spend the extra money, but because that would mean more time in the store.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This really is a VERY GOOD plan - I used a similar system for years. I made weekly menus, checked the cupboards & fridge/freezer, then made a list. If I could use coupons, then maybe a treat for the kids (I used to bake cookies & bread weekly but Dan didn't get in on much of that since he was only 18 months old when Michael was diagnosed with diabetes & cookies & dessert became only sometimes treats.)Good planner, not a nerd no never!

Heather said...

I like grocery shopping. I don't make a list of meals I plan on making because I just like to have the basics and then I can make up meals with those. I love cooking and I think that's why I like to shop for food. I get excited about all of the things I can make with the food.

katezmom said...

I suppose that I can take the blame for you hating grocery shopping. Or maybe Grandma. I still remember standing in the store with Marci and Martin and being given one third of the list and being told to come back to where she was waiting.
Now if Dad wants me to cook something more than oatmeal he has to do the shopping...except for the holidays, that I enjoy.

Katie said...

I hate grocery shopping and I'm even worse than you. I only go when I'm cooking a meal that night and then I only get what I need for that one meal. I guess it works ok for me because I probably only cook twice a week. Then my shopping trips take 20 minutes and I always make the ear doctor go with me so that I have someone to make me laugh.

TRS said...

Wow! I WISH I could be that organized.

But I don't enjoy cooking - for one... it just seems pointless.
At the same time, I'm frustrated that I keep getting the same microwave meals, a carton of yogurt, rice cakes and deli roast beef. That's all I ever get.
When I slurge on fresh fruits and veggies, they all go bad before I can eat them.
Plus, I travel for work, so every week I have to clear out the fridge so the house doesn't stink while I'm gone.
It's all a waste of money.
If I didn't love food so much... I'd vote for a little pill to give me all the nutrients I need with out meals... and makes one feel full!

Maggie said...

Heather- I wish I were as creative as you are with cooking, but it's so much easier to just follow a recipe. Then when it doesn't turn out you can blame it on the recpie. PS. I'm cooking an eggplant in a recipe this week for the first time. Wish me luck!

Katie- I would have to go to the grocery store multiple times a week if I followed your plan. That would make me absolutely insane. Although it would provide more flexibility in the cooking department.

TRS- I love food too much too. It is a hassle, but I do enjoy myself when I actually present a great dinner.