Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Baby Crib

The closer we get to my due date (which isn't very close at all come to think of it) the more I appreciate the bassinett that my in-laws gave us. This bassinett has been in my husband's family for generations, he was put in it when he was a baby and now our baby will be the sixth generation to use it. This means a lot to a lot of people, and although I'm very happy with that fact, it's not the point of my post today and not the reason I have come to think of this bassinett as precious.

The reason is the brand spankin new crib that my mom bought us. I picked the crib out myself and when I saw it in the store I loved it! We bought it way back in September, but never got around to putting it together. (Not a big deal since we have no baby, and we have a bassinett). So my husband tried to surprise me the a few weeks ago by putting the crib together while I was out of town for a while. There was one problem, the metal matress support doesn't fit. It's too big-by at least an inch! His answer to this was, "No problem, I can fix it. I just have to bend the metal." When I got home and he told me his solution to the problem I was nervous. If this is furniture that we are putting our baby in, I want it to fit right the first time. I told him to wait on the bending metal issue until I called the company service number on the instructions. What a headache! So I called the company today. They were great about the whole situation and said they'd ship us an new matress frame! Now I just worry that the new one will be too big too and we've just spent money on something that's never going to work as I want it to! Arrgh!

In the mean time I've got the bassinett put together on my own (not that assembly was too hard, I just had to put the rockers in the slots.) And I've cleaned the little matress cover and it's completely ready for our baby! Oh the joy that fills my heart when I look at it! I'm still thinking that maybe I want to paint it or something, but it's just so exciting to look at it and imagine my baby laying in it rocking to sleep!




PS. My sister's week 21 present arrived yesterday! It's the first distinctively girl present I've gotten so far and I love it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have to pay shipping or something? I would think that the crib company should replace a faulty part without charge especially the mattress support, quite a major part. Heather used the cradle until she was almost 6 months old - but then she WAS pretty small even then. I think Dan stayed in it until about 4 months ( he doubled his birth weight in less than 8 weeks! The other kids called him "the tank".)

Maggie said...

They're not charging me, thankfully, becuase I would probably have lost it on the phone with the lady. I bet she could tell the tension in my voice over the phone becuase she was super-extra-special-nice to me.