Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Eat Your Heart Out

While my sister is whiling away the afternoon in her office, I'm outside working in the 75 degree weather. Yes, I'm trying to make you jealous Katie, that's what you get for going to Disney world in the middle of February. I've already told Mom all about it and she was sad too, so there! Hahahahahahahahahahahah! I filled up Charlotte's little pool this morning so that the temperature will be just above turning her lips blue when she wakes up this afternoon.

Growing up as my mom made us work in the garden it seemed every chance she got I never realized how much fun it is when you have your own garden. You mean I can do whatever I want? Oh the freedom! Well, I can't really do whatever I want because we've gotta keep an eye on the budget and also Daniel does get a say, but we are masters of our domain! Should we put in a bleeding heart next to the fence? Of course we should! Also, I didn't realize how much I know about gardening. I guess this is because I was always compairing myself to my mom who knows so very very much. I wouldn't say I'm expert, but I know enough to feel confident to start this project out. Oh this is going to be fun!

Things I've discovered today about my yard:

  • Previous owners tried their best to make a raised bed right where we want to put a kitchen garden. They filled it with gravel.
  • It's a lot easier than you would think to dig up gravel.
  • For every Home Depot bucket sized load of gravel/dirt mix I dig up we have a good 4 earthworms. This makes my little heart sing as it means our dirt is going to be good.
  • It also makes the Robbin's little heart sing. He was right out there as close as he dared get to me trying to eat every single worm he saw.
  • We have Peonies (I think) poking their little red/green shoots up next to our fence.
  • We have tulips.

That's all for now because we can't actually plant anything until we prepare the ground first. That, as it turns out, is going to take a lot of time and effort. Luckily, even at 32 weeks of pregnancy I can still use a shovel. Don't worry, I set the alarm on my cell phone to remind me to sit down in the shade and drink some water every 30 minutes. I've also reapplied sunscreen twice today. Don't you just wish you were me today?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I wish I were you cuz there is a freakin' snow storm here in Helena.

Urk!
Mom

Anonymous said...

While it isn't a true snow storm, we are getting that funny pelletized snow so it lookslike abeanbag chair exploded all over Spokane.
Hooray for peonies- they are very pretty and once established,pretty easy to manage. Bleeding hearts are always good for a semi-shady place.
Lacey has found a new mouse supply. Fortunately, she is working hard to erradicate them.

TRS said...

I do wish it.
You are so lucky to have a yard. Very very jealous.

I wish I lived close enough to relieve you of zuchinni in a few months!

Anonymous said...

I'm making anouther raised garden like the ones you and I made years ago. We are puting in back by the fruit trees

Katie said...

Green with envy. Especially about the Peonies. One of my very favorite flowers.

Unknown said...

Happy B-day! I saw the pics of you and Katie when you were young. I loved them!

MSmith said...

When Hilary was gardening with Grandma Jane at Charlotte's age, Grandma dug up an earthworm, saved it in a fruit jar with some dirt, and made it Hilary's pet. Hilary insisted that we get it out regularly so that she could pet it.
Thanks Grandma.

Rita said...

You will have to help me... I am starting to prepare my soil... but how? I just mixed it up, I know i need more of it so I can have rows or piles... but thats all I know. We will talk in church or something.