Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Break '09

Daniel has Spring Break this week! The last Spring Break he will have, EVER. Last year we took spring break to drive from St. Louis to Grand Junction, CO to see his Grandpa. It was a great spring break so when we decided that this year we weren't going to go anywhere for vacation I was a little sad. When we further decided to be grown ups and take this time to work on our house instead of doing fun stuff here in town I was also a little sad. Then I found out that it will probably be raining here Thursday (my birthday). Oh well.

Then Saturday hit and we were off buzzing around like little worker bees. When Daniel is home I can achieve about 4x the ammount of work. I think this is because Charlotte floats between the two of us so neither one has to entertain her all the time. Probably this frustrates Dan because of his lowered productivity, but I find it amazing. I realized that I was so happy with this Saturday because we were doing exactly what I had grown up doing. Saturday mornings weren't spent being lazy or playing in our house. I clearly remember my mom saying to me, "I let you sleep in until 9!" As if sleeping in until 9 were a complete luxury. Then we would all work. We would clean the house or garden outside, whichever the weather permitted. Then if we were lucky we made it to costco for lunchtime. I thought all families did this growing up, but apparently I'm wrong.

What I didn't realize was that when I grew up this tradition would be so engrained in me. I've had a vague sense of purposeless Saturdays for a while now. What do I do? How do I fill the day for Charlotte and me? (Dan usually spends Saturdays studying.) This feeling came mostly, I thought, because I didn't want to take Charlotte anywhere with big crowds of people. Why go to the Zoo on Saturday mid morning to fight the crowds, when you could go Monday right when the gates open? Then you can rush to the carousel and ride for free for the first hour. Anyway, this Saturday I realized as we all worked together, (yes, Charlotte helped me "clean" the tub) that this felt right. This is what family does on Saturday mornings. And I was happy.

Fast forward to this morning, or last night really. After Charlotte was asleep last night Dan and I sat down together and sketched out our rough game plan for this week. I woke up this morning with purpose and it's feeling great. It feels like Saturday again because he's home working along side us. We just finished eating lunch together. And we ate breakfast together. And we're going to eat dinner together. How fun is this week going to be?! I can't wait to find out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get to do something fun for your birthday. Birthdays were celebrated in Dan's family so he has no reason NOT to plan something fun. One year he got to go to an Orlando Magic game - in Orlando.....

Katie said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Every saturday I buzz around the house and town with 10 times more energy to get things done.

I think it drives Garrett crazy.

Keep your eye on the mail!

Mindy said...

I'm feeling a little jealous that your mom let you sleep in until 9 on Saturdays. My parents were always up by 6, and we were lucky if they weren't ripping the covers off of us by 7:00. But I feel exactly the same way about Saturday Morning Clean-up. That's how it was for me as a kid, and I should do it as an adult as well.