Thursday, December 17, 2009

Terrifying

Today Charlotte went to the dentist for the first time, which is so not the terrifying part to this post. In fact I enjoy going to the dentist very much. But that's where the story begins. We were going to the dentist. Our neighborhood is set up very much like a lot of city neighborhoods were around the time it was built. The houses ring a block that has an alley intersecting it so our backyard looks onto our across the alley neighbor's backyard. That alley way is the access to people's garages or parking pads so you don't have to park on the street and worry about getting parking tickets each month during street cleaning day. Who can even remember when street cleaning day is? I can't so I'm really glad we have an alley and back parking area. I like the set up a lot. In fact it has facilitated me getting to know a whole slew of neighbors that I normally wouldn't have seen and quite a few handymen/maintenance guys that regularly use the alley for access to whatever house they're working on. But none of this is the terrifying part to my day. Back to the story.

I backed out of our parking pad and then pulled forward so that I could get out and close our gate. As I did this I noticed some man walking a ways further down the alley. I thought nothing of it because people use the alleys as short cuts all the time. So I put the car in park and jump out to close the gate.

When the gate is closed I turn and look towards my car to get back in it, but said man who I thought was much further down the alley is now loitering at the front passenger side bumper of my car. As I step toward the car he walks across the front of my car and starts sauntering down the driver's side of the car. Of the running car that my children are strapped into. My stomach flips upside down and my heart is in my throat when I casually say, "Hey." Usually when I say that even people who I previously thought were shady will say "How you doin?" and suddenly turn friendly. Not this scary man. He just keeps sauntering down the car looking in it and then down the alley ahead of him and then back in it.

I have made it to the back of my car and would have advanced into the driver's seat but for this figure who makes no motion to show he even sees me. Luckily he doesn't decide to steal the car and kidnap the kids. And I receive a momentary lull in terror. Then as he reaches the end of the car he drifts back to the center of the alley, which means he's heading in my direction. What am I going to do? Just as I'm in full panic mode he walks on.

What was going to happen? If the kids hadn't been in the car would I still have a car? What if he had taken my babies? What if he had attacked me? What if he was just on some sort of drugs? I have no idea, but as I got into the car my whole body was shaking from our brush with disaster.

**UPDATE**
After reading comments I just thought I'd add that I DO feel safe in my home and on my alley. I know who my neighbors are and our neighborhood. The city of St. Louis is big and noisy and diverse, but I have grown to enjoy it quite a lot. Moving here I have had to learn to really listen to my instincts about people to avoid and when to realize what I'm feeling is just preconceived fear of the unknown. I don't think that it would be a good idea to let one crazy experience in our alley jade me against living here. My more important lesson is to not be in such a hurry that I don't analyse any situation.

As far as hand guns or any other weapons I personally wouldn't feel comfortable carry them on my person. Also, I can't ever see myself feeling comfortable shooting anyone, ever. For me I think it would be good to practice and get comfortable using self defense of some nature. Or I could get my mom's T-ball bat and wear it as a necklace? If you want to carry a weapon, more power to you, but its just not for me.

7 comments:

Behrmans said...

WARNING FROM POLICE THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE-- NEW WAY TO DO CARJACKINGS. You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine and shift into Reverse. When you look into the rear view mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck on the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view. When you reach the back of your car, that is when the carjackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off. They practically mow you down as they speed off in your car. And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity areа now compromised! BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED. If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that youа read this e-mail. I hope you will forward this to friends andа family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Behrmans said...

My father in law sent that to me. What is this world coming to? After reading that I would have to say he didn't want to deal with the kids and decided to keep going. That was pretty scary! Glad you guys are ok. Love spending time with you yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I would say that you and Dan should both get concealed carry permits. I carry ~75% of the time now, even when we are just going to Logan. I ALWAYS carry when we leave the valley. It has nothing to do with being fearful and everything to do with being prepared. Even a very small .22 that can be concealed in your coat pocket, or somewhere else on your person, will be enough to eliminate a threat.

I imagine there will be some that read this and think I'm crazy. If that is the case then so be it. I would still save them from harm if need be.

Nate

Mindy said...

Even if this experience does inspire you to get a handgun and concealed carry permit, would you have thought to "carry" when you are with your kids, on the way to the dentist? I wouldn't have. In fact, I'm not sure I would carry any time I'm with my kids, so it wouldn't do my any good in this scary situation.

I'm so glad you're okay. I would not have known what to do in that situation.

Katie said...

In this instance, if you'd had a gun I bet it would have been in the car, with your purse, phone and keys.

So not only would the car jacker have had your car, phone, keys and kids he would have also HAD A GUN!

Yikes!


I only think people who are REALLY well trained and SUPER comfortable with guns should carry concealed weapons. I'm about 1000% sure that you, my dear little sister, fall into neither catagory...

dad said...

You need to be super careful in that ally. Allies can be a very dangerous place because there are so many hiding places.

Rather than a gun, you possibly should get some pepper spray. I witnessed the police spraying a guy once when I was in Florida and he was totally taken down. Your Grendpa Willy gave your mother some when we were first married. Also remember, hit them square in the nose before they realise it's coming. That will give you enough time to kick to the groin and then you can escape. Remember you need to have the courage to deliver the first blow. Deliver the second and then escape.

Did you report this incedent to the police? I advise that you do that, they would like to know.

Jenny said...

I always feel safe knowing Nate is capable/trained/willing to defend our family. What good is any sort of weapon if you aren't carrying it? Why even bother? Pepper spray, gun, mace - whatever - you need to have it ON YOUR PERSON, especially if you are living in or frequently visiting areas where you feel unsafe. At the very least, having some sort of extra way to defend yourself will boost your confidence if you ever do need to fight. I would've been afraid he was in my house while I was gone.