Friday, November 05, 2010

Being Thankful

I didn't do anything for Thanksgiving last night. In fact I forgot even about the Thanksgiving bowl. Dan stayed late at school to attend a special meeting all about interviewing techniques for residency positions. So instead of the fish dinner I had planned for the evening we had Charlotte's choice. Waffles.

After the waffles I took the kids upstairs for a bath. I let them bathe for over half an hour before I got them out. After everyone was cleaned and teeth brushed and jammies on the three of us went into what used to be my bedroom, but is currently a completely empty room. We're fixing that room next so we had to clear it out.

What is so magical about an empty room? I'm not sure why it has such appeal, but my kids and I have loved it. They have run and run and run in that room and Dan and I have sat and watched and laughed and clapped. Last night I laid on the floor of the empty room and the kids laid on top of me and around me and next to me. We did nothing but cuddle, touch and tumble for a good 20 minutes.

That was perfection. I feel so much love for my kids. They are what I'm grateful for. I sat and listened to their thoughts and ideas and just loved them.
My dearest little Gregory. You are so sweet and smart. I love how even tempered you are. Even though you are certainly a rambuncous little boy you seldom get really truly angry. I love how you climb and tumble and crawl all over me. I also love the funny faces you make just to be funny. You are a joy to my life and I love sharing my time with you.

My darling Charlotte I love you. I love that you always want to cuddle me because you are so much fun to cuddle. I know someday you wont want to do that with me anymore, but I hope that day doesn't come for a long time. You are so grown up and it shows. Last night you made me laugh because you wanted to. It was the first time you have specifically done something to make me laugh that perfectly tickled my funny bone. Last night was fun.


Last night was what motherhood is all about.

In other news here are the photos of the Thanksgiving celebrations.

Voting:

And the video wrap up after voting:

And here are the turkey pictures we colored as a family. Would you call this a flock of turkeys?

Also Dan currently has 8 interview invitations now.

8 comments:

Katie said...

That first picure of Greggie makes him kind of look like Shawn Michael, right? Or am I just seeing things?

And was the joke about flying fish? Because that one is RIOT!

Dan's mom said...

Of course the question of the day is Where???are the interviews - your dad pumped me last night at choir but I didn't have any more info than he did.

Don't you love how literal kids are - we vote on paper.

If Charlotte takes after her Daddy, she will be pretty willing to hug even as a teenager.

We were thankful you all came to visit - I know it wasn't the visit that might have been but having you to drive me around while I was "broken" was a very big help. Corso looked for the kids for days - waiting patienly by Greg's chair at every meal, hoping food would drop from the sky.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have been having some great times with great memories lately! The turkeys look great.

I feel bad... I didn't vote. Woops.

denise said...

The name given to a group of turkeys is a rafter, although they are sometimes incorrectly referred to as a gobble or flock. ...

Remember the music tape, "Beasts by the bunches"? It always made me smile. Especialy the group of crows.
Mom

Maggie said...

He does look like Sean, but I've always thought that Sean looks like Dad and that Greg also looks like Dad.

Maggie said...

Oh and it wasn't about flying fish. It was a funny editing of a verse of scripture.

dad said...

I like your Thanksgiving idea. I am thankful for Skype so I can see my family whenever I want to.

Thanks for voting, it is very important because it's all about freedom.

MSmith said...

Awesome post. The pic of Charlotte with the black marker and upholstered chair - beware - my friend's daughter circled all the buttons with her marker. :)