Monday, October 01, 2012

The Future Is Here

Sunday night I had one of those moments.  Dan and I sat out in our backyard and watched the sunset.  The baby was squirming around us and then the two older kids came out and we all played together.  There are lots of parts of being a mom and a wife to a doctor that are hard, but that night I knew we'd hit it.  We had hit the sweet spot.  The part where all the hard melts off.  All the stress leaves and you simply enjoy each other.  I think it's moments like those that we desperately try to force into every vacation time we have and in the end those moments seem to come without a plan or more things or "memorable" events.

I yearn in those moments to be a great writer so that I could share with everyone, and record for myself the beautiful peace and fulfillment that enter my soul.  I wish I could describe for you the vibrant sunset, the crunchy grass, the musical sound of my children's laughter and the joy that all those things brought me.

I yearn in those moments to be a great photographer so that my photos would tell the story of my happy family.  I would show you the splash of tiny freckles on my son's nose and the honey brown of my daughter's eyes and the joyous smile on my baby's face.  I wish I could show to you and capture for myself that particular scene of my life because it is that scene that I hope to cling to and build from.

But those are not my talents.  So I am content in the knowledge that, at least in part, my talents help to create those little moments, those threads that will weave together.  In the end I hope that my masterpiece is written quietly with these scenes written in the hearts of my children.

Also, here's a video Dan took that evening to show you why my second son is never going to be a very chubby baby.  He never stops moving.  Not. Ever.

7 comments:

Sue said...

You have so beautifully spoken. I wish I could put my life into words that truly convey the beauty around. Well done. Much love to you and the family. Aunt Sue.

Katie said...

Jeez! That kid is going to walk even earlier than Charlotte did!

Yikes for mommy

Dan's mom said...

And Lee will seem sooooo big when Katie's baby gets here - and he won't even be a year old. It makes you realize how quickly those "little" days pass.

denise said...

ok, you made me cry...

Anonymous said...

loved it!
aunti m

Gina Poirier said...

You are a great writer! I know exactly what you meant through your words.

Anonymous said...

He is just toooo cute! love to all. g-jane