Friday, October 19, 2012

Wait, when did that happen?

Twenty eight is not old.  It just isn't.  So then how is it that in the past couple of weeks I have suddenly realized that I'm old.  Or at least, I'm not young anymore.  What a strange feeling it is to realize that what I formerly thought of myself is maybe not actually how I really am.

I have three kids.
And a minivan.
And a mortgage.
And last week I finalized my life insurance.  If there isn't a more boring or practical marker of being an adult I don't know it.
And today the babysitter called to ask me if it was OK to use me as a reference.  A reference I tell you!  I remember doing that exact same thing!
Also, I'm worried about the carpet.  Tonight I told the kids they couldn't eat downstairs on the new carpet.  Isn't that just what moms say?!  Only wait, I am a mom.  With a five year old.  I've been a mom for five years.
Plus, today I got a flu shot.  I don't remember feeling the need to do that before.

So as I try to digest how I feel about being old I decided to do something really young.  I took all the rewards money I had saved up on my gap card and bought myself a new fall coat.  In yellow.  And I didn't even feel guilty about it.  Because young people don't feel guilty about buying things for themselves on a whim.  And it is beautiful.

5 comments:

Gina Poirier said...

HAHAHA talk about it! My mom is almost 60 and says she still doesn't feel grown up. Also wanted to let you know I nominated you for a blog award! If you want to participate you can follow the instructions on my blog. Keep it up! I enjoy following you (and not just 'cause you're my friend ;) )
http://holdingthedistaff.blogspot.com/2012/10/you-mean-people-actually-read-this.html

Anonymous said...

Wanna feel old? Let your almost 40yr old body carry around 9'tall concrete forms all day... I need a stinking nap.

Nate

Anonymous said...

Haven't figured how to make 80 feel young.
g-jane

Dan's mom said...

Does the new coat need a scarf?

Maggie said...

Gina- Thanks for the nomination! I'm glad to know you like what you read.

Nate- I'm sure carrying around 9' tall concrete forms all day would make my almost 30yr old body feel old.

Grandma- You make every age look like something to look forward to.

LeAnn- The answer will ALWAYS be yes to your beautiful scarves!