Thursday, September 23, 2004

Car Accidents, Brain Tumors, Death

So in my family, if you get a headache it's quite possible that it's a brain tumor. If you don't hear from someone it's prefectly logical that they got in a car accident. Death is not out of the realm of possibility. Well, actually only two of those three have ever actually HAPPENED before, but that doesn't stop my mind from jumping to those conclusions. One time, when my mom was out later than I thought she should be at night I was almost in hysterics when she got home. I know this makes me sound neurotic, but I'm just telling the truth. In my family as long as I can remember the rule has been that when you're traveling you call and tell the people you left that you made it ok. Also, you call mom to tell her you made it ok. She worries, it's just better that way. That's ALWAYS been the rule.

So all of this preamble is for a story about Dan. The other day he drove from one side of Washington to the other by himself. I was expecting him to finish driving at about 8PM. That's when I also (as previously mentioned in the rules for travel in my family) expected him to call me and tell me he arrived ok. The call never came. At 10PM I decided that I would call him, just to make sure he was ok. Nobody answered the phone. I was a little distressed about this, but I didn't worry too much. Then at 11PM I called again. No answer. At this point my mind automatically jumps to all the irrational possibilities that could have happened to keep him from answering the phone. Again, I realize that I'm neurotic, but that's how my mind works.

So anyway, I finally just have to go to bed because I have class in the morning. I'm seriously worried about him the next morning. Then I'm mad at him for not having called and then I feel bad for being mad at him in case he really DID get in an accident and is in some hospital somewhere. I got a message later that afternoon from Dan that said he just forgot to call and tell me he was ok. HE FORGOT! At first I was a little upset about this. Then I realized that his family might not have the same rules as mine does so I just let it drop. I hope from the nine zillion messages I left on his phone he realizes this is a big deal for me and doesn't forget again. That night was way stressful for me.

4 comments:

the narrator said...

this is exactly how i feel when my pizza delivery is late.

Katie said...

For all this big talk about the "rule" in our family, you sure don't seem to always live by it.

I recall last time you drove out here to Colorado you didn't tell me you were here at all. I thought "B" had driven you off the road into a gully where no one would find you for weeks and weeks until your remains were found 30 miles down river, bloated and picked apart by vultures.

katezmom said...

Way to go Kate, now the shoe was on the other foot. I suppose you too realize this is THE RULE! Mom's do freak.

Maggie said...

Katie, I didn't call you then because I hadn't even gotten into town yet. I hadn't even dropped B off yet. It was rainy and snowy when we were driving so it took a LONG time. I DID call you when we were still on the road as I recall. Anyway, I'm sorry you were stressed.