Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Raging Insecurities

I don't know if it's just me or this happens to everyone, but I just can't stand the beginning of a new semester. Some of the people around me see it as an opportunity, a new challange to tackle, or new and exciting people to meet. I don't see it this way at all. I just finished my first organic chemistry lab. This class brought out all of my insecurities at once. First, it was a class that is male dominated. I know I'll have to really hold my own in that class or play the "I'm just a stupid girl" route to be able to work with anybody. It sucks, but that's the reality. Also, we have to work independently. I don't like to do that because I very rarely understand things without talking about them. Thirdly, I really feel that I DON'T understand organic chemistry. It is a subject for which I have had to work extra hard just to get a passing grade. Also, I'm not a pre-med pre-dent major. I don't NEED an A in this class. I just have to get a passing grade and I know, for my last o-chem class, I had to work three times as hard as the guys I studied with who got A's. Lame. Anyway, that's what I think about that.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I like the beginning of the semester. This is for a few reasons 1) I probably didn't do so well the previous semester and it's a chance for me to start over with a clean slate. 2) I underestimate the difficulty of my classes, so I think that the semester is going to be easy. 3) There's no procrastinated assignments due.

I'm pretty happy with the start of this semester. All of the above apply.

Sam said...

I know how you feel. My business management classes are like that. Accounting and economics are all made for male minds, I swear. I love the classes but never do very well. The guys in there are pushing for As and I have to work even harder for my B or C. Blah. Financial management is going to kick my butt this semester.

Katie said...

Chemistry is hard. I'm proud of you for sticking it out. That shows strength of character.