Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Precarious Perch

When I moved into the basement of my in-laws house the previous tenant, my sister-in-law, warned me of the huge spiders that also call the basement home. Let me first say I have nothing against spiders when they live in their natural habitat. When I encounter them in the great outdoors I simply give them their space and let them live their lives. When they are in my domain it is an entirely different story. Mostly when I happen across the two inch brown hairy monsters I just call for my husband to come kill it. (Two inches might be an exaggeration, but that's what it seems like when you're staring one in the face, eye-to-eye on the sofa. Well, my husband is gone.

Today started like any other day. I woke up way later than I thought I would, spent a small time in the morning with the ritual I have come to know and love. Feed Tigger, feed myself, let the dogs out to "go potty," read the funnies, take a shower. It was at that last step when it all went downhill. I get into the shower and start washing my hair when I turn around and see one of these mutant spiders INCHES from my foot. Instantly I climb up on one of the seats that are in the shower. I have no idea what to do. Do I call for help from my mother-in-law. Surely that would not do. With no help on the way I had to figure out what to do fast. Was it me or was that creepy thing following me up the wall to the seat? My nemesis is blocking my exit to get the toilet paper to send him swirling down the toilet. The tricky spider can't outsmart me! I just angled the water spray right behind him until he slid right down the drain. Success! I conquered that problem. Only moments after his body finally made it down the drain in the shower did my mistake really hit me. The drain is in the middle of the shower. RIGHT WHERE YOU STAND to get the stream of water. Now I have the possiblitiy of the spider climbing up the drain and right onto my foot. This would never do. I had to spend the rest of the shower on the seat bending over to wash my hair. Maybe that's also why I wont go to the bathroom in the dark. I'll have to think about that one. All I can say is that it is a good thing I am moving out on Sunday!

1 comment:

Katie said...

The image of you sitting on the shower seat bent over rinsing out your hair made me snort with laughter....in the quite school computer lab. good work baby