Friday, June 09, 2006

And The End

Well I just attended my last class before graduation! Now all I have to do is my finals. (That's not a big deal since I know I'll do well on them.) It feels like a huge weight has been lifted and I am joyous to have all my family come.

Here's something odd that has happened to me this week. I'm taking this women's study course and one of the projects was to do a financial analysis of a dream of ours. I decided that my dream would be to be able to have my husband get through his first year of medical school debt free. Since we have a lag year between now and him starting medical school I figured it would be a good idea to set up a savings plan and budget for the coming year. (After submitting the assignment I realized I negelected to put on a few expenditures that we will have so I'm going to have to redo it now.) Anyway, we also had to submit a write up talking about our dream and how we are going to succeed in our dream. Part of the grading was on our description of the dream. For that I included a small description of our situation and of the financial situation of medical students in general. When I recieved the grade back my professor had said, "__0/2__Detailed description of the dream is not included. I want to know about YOUR dream, not your husband's. I suppose your "dream" is to be debt free, but that's more of a practicality rather than a personal dream. What do YOU want to do with YOUR life? Are you going to medical school, too? I'll score the rest of this assuming you are." Like my dream isn't valid so I don't get the points. Like having a practical dream that is tied to my life with my husband is ridiculous. Anyway, I reacted like you would expect a redhead and had a complete scorched earth meltdown. I wrote an email to her, but decided to send it to my mom and sister for review before I sent it to my professor. (I find its always better if I give myself a little time to cool off before I let the heads roll.) Well, my professor didn't really appreciate my email, but she did give me the chance to explain myself and then did regrade my assignment so all is well.

The really odd thing about this whole situation is that today I recieved an email from her to a director or something nominating my paper I wrote earlier in the term for a Culture of Writing prize. I must not have pissed her off as much as I thought!

I think that's all the drama for the week!

1 comment:

shafnitz said...

Good thing you listened to me and sent her the e-mail. I think what she did was pretty dumb and I understand your point. It would've pissed me off too, that's for sure.