Thursday, June 01, 2006

A time for Thank Yous

As I walked in the pouring down rain to class today I thought about this past year of amazing changes. Getting married, transferring school and ending school, along with many other little changes. As I reflected on that I realized that right now is a time for thank yous. I think I will be writing some more formal notes about some, but here goes the first thank yous.

Dear Academic Advisor,
You made my transfer here better than I ever thought it could be. Doing it took a ton of work and I'm really proud of myself, but I know I would never have been able to do it so successfully without your herculean efforts in my behalf. I know that there is no way I would have been able to graduate by the end of this year without your help and for that I will forever be thankful.

Dear Mike (a kid in my major)
Thank you for being able to be yourself around me, while still respecting my values and beliefs. I think it takes a really great person to be able to do that and I feel lucky to have been able to be your friend. You also taught me that sometimes it's OK to confront someone when you need to. I guess a little trial by fire actually did make me stronger. Thanks.

Dear Tahmiene (pronounced Tah-mean-a)
Thanks for being my friend even though I wont go out to the bars with you. I know we didn't get very close, but it is always nice when you know there's someone you can sit next to in class. Also thanks for teaching me more about the value of working hard for an education.

Dear Linda (the department secretary)
I know you must have spent countless hours working behind the scenes on my behalf and I thank you.

Dear Sweetie (my husband)
Thanks for being patient with me when I get stressed out or lazy. Thanks for actively loving me so I know everyday how much I mean to you. Thanks also for all the million little things you have already taught me and for those that you will yet teach me.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Thanks so much for the support you've given. I worried about how it would be to bring someone new into our family, but now I can't imagine what it would be like without him being part of us. Thanks for teaching me not only that "boys are like that sometimes," but also that the boy I chose should be and is better than "that."

Dear John and LeAnn (my husband's parents)
Thank you so SO much for the love and support you have given us this past year. I love that I feel like I'm a genuine member of the family and not just an add-in. I also love that the guest room features engagement photos of Dan and me. It's almost like the room is ours. Thanks for always defending my Sweetie. Thanks also for helping guide us through decisions about what's in the future.

PS. Also thanks for letting me call you John.

Dear Katie,
Thanks for being my big sister. Thanks for speaking your mind when you think that I'm making a mistake (even if I don't agree). Also I learned from you that sometimes things are hard and that's not necessairly a bad thing. I can work through them to get to the good part. Also thanks for being a food enthusiast (even if you're not as dorky about it as I am).

Dear Professors
I know it's your job and all, but thanks for teaching me. It is largely because of you that I can stay motivated and intrigued about the subject of food. You do a good job.

Dear the group of kids that are in all my classes with me,
Collectively you've taught me the value of standing up for something. You each have something you stand up for and through your questions and our conversations I have learned that I too have something to stand for.

Dear Julie and the Heat
Thanks for taking the time to call me this year and tell me all about what's going on. Suddenly being alone and not really knowing how to make friends when I'm married was sort of a shock. I would have been despirately lonely this year without your support.

I think that's good for now. There are so many more people I could and should thank, but time is precious right now so I should spend any more here.

No comments: