Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Da-Da-Da-Daaaaaa (Read: The first four notes to Monday Night Football)

My husband loves football. Not as much as he loves wrestling, but since wrestling (the real kind not the WWF kind) isn't really a big televised sport he puts his athletic entertainment into football (except for during the summer when it's baseball, YUCK!) I don't know if my readers know this but yesterday was the first night of Monday Night Football. Those four little notes really mean that the next hours of his life my husband will be glued to the television. He even has this old NFL quilt that I'm pretty sure is a hand-me-down from one of his brothers. This is the only quilt he owns and he's pretty attached to it.

I on the other hand have so many quilts it would probably make your head spin. This is a combination of factors really. First, I quilt so some of them I made myself. Also my mom and grandma quilt so I have ones from them. Finally, I'm cold all of the time so I actually use all my quilts. My husband thinks I have WAY too many quilts.

Anyway, when we got married I packed up his one NFL quilt in a box that I thought he would never open since the quilt is sort of old and falling apart and, well, I don't really like it. He found it when we moved this last time. I was making the bed and I needed a quilt to put on it and I asked him to get me one to which I replied, "Anyone you want." He came in with the quilt behind his back and sang, "Da-Da-Da-Daaaaa!" as he revealed his choice. He said it was in honor of Monday Night football coming back. So now we have the old stinky NFL quilt on our bed. He's lucky that I love him. And also that our comforter covers up the quilt. And also that his brother has satellite TV because without satellite TV or digital cable you can't get ANY channels in our little town (even with rabbit ears).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the story of the NFL quilt:
there is (or was) a huge standing swapmeet at teh old Orange CA drive-in, where my folks used to live (& all us Wight generation went to highschool). Mom loves to bargainhunt, so they went often. One year, about the year Dan was born, Dad found these quilts made from sheets with the NFL logos. All the older boy cousins got one. So, yes it is a hand me down from Nathan. Since Dan was born on Super Bowl Sunday, it was passed down to him. When Dan inherited it, it became his "take to wrestling tournaments" quilt - and something of a trademark for him. When he was in HS, I found some NFL fabric (not quite a match since there had been expansion teams but the colors still worked) and made a matching pillow case for a kingsize pillow. What can I say?
PS - glad your feeling better!

Maggie said...

Oh, we still have the matching pillow as well. We will NEVER get rid of those two items.

the narrator said...

wrestling (the real kind not the WWF kind)

I'm confused. WWF isn't real?

Anonymous said...

Dear narrator:
No, and I'm sure you know that. Don't make Dan show you. He has medals, it might hurt.

the narrator said...

Haha. I've met Dan and I'm sure he could.

I still think Mankind (AKA Cactus Jack; AKA Mick Folley) could take him. ;)

Katie said...

Oh jeez, this post made me spit a little hot cocoa out of my mouth in laughter. You really should put some kind of warning at the top if you're going to do that.

Ronnie said...

Did you ever see the cage match were The Undertaker chokeslammed Mankind through the top of the cage and then bodyslammed him a couple of times onto a bunch of tacks. It's one of the greatest matches in the history of wrestledom.