Thursday, August 24, 2006

Strep Throat

I don't have strep throat (which is a very good thing I think). The other girl that works at m y work does. Since there's only the two of us and she has strep it fell to me to work for her today. Not that I mind, it's not like my job is hard, I just sit here waiting for customers to come in, I just wasn't mentally prepared to come in. After she left I used our Clorox wipes and wiped every surface that she might have touched because there's no way I want that sort of thing. My boss, the owner of the store, lives about an hour away so she was really very happy that I could come in at such a short notice. The only cramp that it put in my day was that today was supposed to be the big pack-up-and-move-every-last-thing-we-own day today so tomorrow could be the big clean-the-basement-spotless day so that my aunt would be happy she let us live there for practically nothing for two months. My husband says he's getting off work early today though so maybe that means he'll do the parts of the packing that I don't want to do before I get home, although I doubt it because they're probably the parts that he doesn't want to do either. We'll probably just end up doing them together.

Anyway, back to work. Since I had no time to prepare for my hours on end of doing nothing I feel less prepared than yesterday. Although today I brought in some CD's that I like so I don't have to listen to the same stupid commercials over and over again on the radio. I also brought my bag of free things that the doctor's office gave me which has four baby magazines in it so I can at least enjoy some very light reading about baby issues.

As for baby names, sorry anonymous, my husband's family (read: my husband) likes to do the whole name the baby boy the dad's first name and then call them by the middle name. My father in law goes by his middle name and it never seemed to bother him. I don't have strong feelings either way. My problem is if we have a boy we're not going to get to name him anything since neither of us can agree on any name. It looks like Douglass is out because my husband said, "It's OK, I guess" (read: I hate it). We haven't narrowed to anything as far a boy names go so hopefully it'll be a girl. That's my secret hope anyway because I like the idea of having a little girl.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that Douglass is out does that mean that you are back to Howard? If so, I am so having an intervention when (if) you come for Thanksgiving! The thought of a beautiful baby (which of course you and Daniel are going to have) saddled with the name Howard, just makes my insides hurt.

How about Owen? A little old-fashioned, but still kind-of rugged so the poor kid won't get teased unmercifully.

Maggie said...

Howard was out weeks ago. Or was it last week? Either way it's not even on the list anymore. I hadn't even thought of Owen.

katezmom said...

Are you sure about Owen? Initials of DOW? You'll have a beautiful baby whatever you name it. Aunt Marci says that you need to make it easy for the 1st grade teacher to call the roll. That's the advise from a long and I do mean long term teacher

katezmom said...

When did the name discussion start? I feel out of the loop.

Heather said...

Yeah, my brother has always gone by his middle name and he's never complained about it. Actually I think he likes being able to switch between the two names (he went through a stage where his team uniform would say Warren on it instead of Parker -maybe because he likes my dad so much). Most of his teachers just call him Warren while all of his friends call him Parker. Plus he has tons of nicknames, so I don't think it really matters. Maybe it helps that his a very laid-back, chill kid and he probably never real thought about it being a problem.

TRS said...

Holy buckets people! They have at least 7 more months to decide on a name.

Don't worry you'll figure it out.

I like Owen though (depending on your last name)

My BF doesn't discuss baby names until after the kid is born. I called Faith, Wheezer for eight months! Now she's having a boy and I'm calling him Thor! Should find out the real name in the next week or so.

Anonymous said...

TRS may have a point with "Wheezer" and "Thor"- if you discuss names with too many people, you get too much advice & input. Pick something horrible or at least unlikely & use that while you & Dan blissfully select the perfect name in private. Your Aunt Marcy makes a valid point - do think about calling the child by that name through all the different stages - try yelling it, try it on a graduation announcement - you get the idea. Oh, my mom's brother goes by his middle name, too, so it's not just a Whiting thing.