Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Grandma/pa

Growing up we always called our grandparents by their first names. For example, Grandma Jane or Grandpa Mel or Grandma Margie. When it came to great grandparents we called them by their last names like grandma DuBois.

My husband's family calls grandparents by first names (Grandma Whiting). Although this isn't unheard of to me, I've always figured that my kids would call their grandparents by their first names. My parents have always planned on this as well. My in-laws seem to be ok with it too. My father in law is even ok with me calling him by his given first name because Grandpa Greg and Grandpa Craig are a little close that it might confuse. The other people in my husband's family have expressed ideas that my way of addressing grandparents is unheard of/weird and (this part I may be extrapolating since it has never really been expressed this way) I'm just trying to rock the boat. (Since my husband is the youngest the tradition of Grandpa and Grandma Whiting is well established with the other grandchildren.) I love my in-laws and I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining about them so don't think that. I just want to know the opinions of others out there.

So my question is this: Do you call your grandparents by their first names or thier last?

***Note regardless of what people say I will probably still have our children call their grandparents by their first names so long as the said grandparents are ok with it.***

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll be OK with what ever you decide. Our kids didn't have any trouble with Grandparents Wight & Whiting, so I don't worry about the "same sounding" names. Rachael has Skyler refer to my parents as Grandpa Lee & Grandma Flo, so a reversal of your system. Some times they use a geographical modifier in conversation (Grandpa/ma in Montana)Craig had cousins who called the grandparents Nanny and Bompa but no one else did, so what ever seems to work.

Andrew McAllister said...

We were never fortunate enough to have great grandparents in our lives. No grandparent in our family has ever been on a first name basis, though my very young son named my father "buddy" for some unknown reason and it stuck.

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

Heather said...

We kind of half a mix of everything. Grandma/pa Higgins, Grandma Georgie and Grandpa Tom, Grammy, and we called our great grandparents grandma/pa evans.
I also had a great Aunt Elizabeth who we call grandma Elizabeth, and Grammy's ex-mother-in-law who we called Grandma Adelle.

My mom wants all of her grandchildren to call her "Mima" pronounced mee-ma. We think it's funny because then what should my dad be called, Pee-pa? Actually he said geezer would be fine.

Anyway, I'm sure the grandparents would be excited/happy about any name the kids choose.

Kim Dubois said...

What? You have a Grandma DuBois? And you still dated Seth? Ewwwww.

Kidding.

Katie said...

I call one Grandma by her first name- Grandma Joy. The other grandparents have always been by last names. Although, we did call one great-grandmother Grandma Great. In my husband's family they call one set of grandparents Nana and Papa and the other set Grandma and Grandpa. In my experience I had cousins who called my Grandparents different things and it never caused any confusion.

Maggie said...

Kim-My great grandma remarried so DuBois isn't actually related to me in anyway.