Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Itching for Christmas

Well, it's not really Christmas, or the holiday season that I really want, but it is the next big thing to look forward to. What I really want is for time to move more quickly! I want to have my baby here. I'm so impatient! I feel like I should really be more happy about the whole pregnancy state and enjoying it much more. Now that I'm not barfing up everything I've eaten in a day I do enjoy it much more. Plus I'm almost into my second tri-mester (I'm a little over 12 weeks right now). The way I figure it the second tri-mester is the holy grail of pregnancy. For most women the sickness stops (maybe I'll get to stop taking Unisom?), you actually look pregnant and not just fat (which is where I'm at right now), and you're not so big that it's uncomfortable. Plus, in the second tri-mester you get to see an ultra-sound of your baby! I've had one already, but all it really looked like was a lima bean. Yesterday I went with my sister-in-law to her ultra-sound and her baby is so cute! The ultra-sound monitor was so good! You could see the little arms and legs and the head and the face. You can tell the sex (although they don't want to know so the nurse didn't even bother to look). If I'm wrong about this second tri-mester holy grail thing then brake it to me gently.

Back to my main point. I want my time to pass quickly. Yesterday I was talking to my 4 year old nephew trying to convince him that it was indeed fall and not summer any longer because it was now September. I could not, however, argue with his logic that it could not possibly be fall since all the trees were still green and none of them were dropping their leaves. Nuts! It's still summer. Not that I'm even excited at the prospect of winter, which is long and cold. It just marks the passage of time. Christmas will too. Remember when you were little and you got to make red and green paper chains to count down to Christmas? Well, I sort of like to do that for anything I'm looking forward to. I did it for my wedding (although the chain when I made it was ridiculously long and my roommate had good reason to make fun of me). See if you do that then every day can be an accomplishment towards your goal. I'd secretly like to do that for my baby, but you can't know the exact date of the birth, at least not this far out. Then if I make the chain and the baby comes soon I would feel completely off guard and if the end of the chain came and my baby wasn't here I would feel kind of depressed. I'm so neurotic, I know. There is no need to tell me this.

In the mean time I do know when Christmas is. I can excitedly think of presents for people (which takes a lot longer when you have to save up to get them). I can think of how I will make the season festive and I can think about how my family will be different this year with a little one on the way. I can count down to that. So right now I can't wait for Christmas!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Some friends of mine waited until there were I think six weeks left of pregnancy, and then they had the baby five weeks early. So, the chain didn't really work there.
Plus, I bet this chain would be as long as the one you did for your wedding day, and that was pretty ridiculous :)

Maggie said...

The chain wouldn't be that long because I started it at about Thanksgiving time and it went all the way until July. If I started it now it would only have to go until mid March. It would be shorter, but you're right, it would still be ridiculously long.

Anonymous said...

You could always make a chain with different colors for the, say, last 2 weeks and some "just in case I go over" links. Dan was only 6 hours over his due date & 4 of my 5 were within 24 hours of the due dates (Nate was 5 days early but I was direction a roadshow & painting & doing choreography). Your mom's history might be more appilcable on this though. It would add a new elemnt to your decorating scheme!

Heather said...

P.s. I am taking a choir class (I needed the extra credit) and our one concert is in December. So all of our songs that we practice are Christmas songs. It's fun, but it makes me wish it was Christmas already.

Maggie said...

Heather-
Is the concert free? When is it? Where? I love Christmas music!

Heather said...

It's in December (the 14th at 7:30 I think) and I believe it is free, I'll have to check.
I would love for you and Dan to come, plus then Matt wouldn't have to sit in the audience by himself.

TRS said...

On behalf of those who love summer and are mourning it's demise... I have to say your nephew is right!!!! Autumnal Equinox 09-23-2006. Don't make me give up summer until I absolutely HAVE to!

Please!

That said, I like the paper chain idea. ... make it alternatively pink and blue and see if the day you have the baby is the appropriate color! I like Dan's Mom's idea!
Also, to keep it from being ridiculously long... maybe make a link for each week instead... but like Dan's Mom says... links for each day the last few weeks, and possible over!

You're too cute.

TRS