Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Unexpected Advice

Today I was waiting in line at the post office (why is it that there's always a line at the post office?) and I overheard this man conducting some sort of home buying financing business over his cell phone. By the way, everyone overheard it because the man was really loud. When he got off the phone he proceeded to tell all the people in the post office that you're poor if you pay for things with cash. Credit is the way to go to get rich! He has purchased his home, car, and big rig truck all on credit cards! Don't get a mortgage either, because you'll just end up being poor. The only way to buy things in America is with Credit Cards!

Last week, while waiting at the doctor's office with my baby a youngish gentleman started talking to me about his daughter (now five and living with her mother). He raised her on his own until recently and it sounded like he was a great dad. Then he said, "I didn't want my daughter to have any resentment so I didn't beat her, until I thought she really needed it, because sometimes they just really need it." I'm sure he meant spanking. I hope he meant spanking rather than beating. I'll never know. I just smiled an nodded until the nurse called my name.

PS. Neither of these stories were the ones I was going to share, but they were just such odd experiences I had to share them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That credit thing is the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

My dad warned me to never buy anything that I didn't have cash for. If you can't cover it with cash you can't afford it.

I followed that advice. I'm debt free. I'm not rich, however... so perhaps Dad and I are wrong!

I think the man at the post office may be confusing 'appearing rich' with 'being rich'!

Katie said...

Credit cards are the devil. That man didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Having a lot of credit means you have a lot of fake wealth because it isn't REALLY money.

I heart Dave Ramsey 4-ever!

GT said...

It takes a village to have a village idiot.