Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Up-shot

I feel like I've been complaining about my baby a lot this past week and it's really not giving the whole picture. I LOVE how much she's learning right now. She seems to have exploded in the growth and development this past week. Here are somethings she's learned:

  • If you ask for a kiss she will lean in and say, "Mmmmmm-wah" right along with you. It started with her leaning in with a fully opened mouth, but then she figured out that we're not doing that so she adapted.
  • She blows on her own hot food. It's so cute because she hasn't quite figured out the direction of her blowing. She'll do it just above the food. But she knows to test the food with her fingers and if it's too hot she'll blow on it.
  • She knows jokes, well, toddler jokes. She thinks it's so funny to do something unusual with the items we use in our house every day. She uses the hamper and puts it over her head. Then we put it over both our heads and laugh and laugh.
  • She understands pretty much everything we tell her. She doesn't always pay attention, but she understands what we're saying and that's so fun.
  • She's figured out how to flush the toilet, which is pretty funny. She will walk up and just flush the toilet and then walk away.
  • When I say, "Do you want to help me with the laundry?" She'll run to the door to the basement and wait for me to take her down. Then she'll help me turn on the light in the basement by pulling the string. She's also learned to shut the dryer door for me.

So I have actually been having loads of fun with my toddler too!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Ahhhhhh. What a cute little girl!

Did you catch the afternoon session of conference. There was a talk about mothers of young children that was awesome!

Maggie said...

Yeah, we watched both Sunday sessions, but what with Charlotte and her wanting to play with the computer and trying to get her interested in other activities all I really caught of that talk was, "Moms have a hard job." I'll have to catch up when the Ensign comes out.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for staying home and taking care of your sweet little Charlotte. You are doing so much more for her brain development then could ever happen if she were in a daycare. These times at home are so vital to her! I recently attended a conference that was discussing the new research on brain development and the message that I heard was that toddlers and young children need to be exposed to lots of different experiences and to be held often--things that do not regularly occur in any daycare setting. Yeah for Maggie (and for Dan) in deciding that staying at home was so beneficial to their daughter. I love you both.