Monday, February 02, 2009

Take 2

Warning: This post is entirely about my pregnancy and probably wont interest anyone but myself, but I needed a place to keep it so there you go.

Before I forget what this pregnancy has been like so far I thought I'd write down a few of the differences I've noticed between Charlotte and Greg. Although I realize that I've forgotten much about my pregnancy with Charlotte already, so maybe this comparison isn't fair. I'm doing it anyway.

First, I haven't taken any nausea medication in about a month. That's awesome. I feel like I have 10x the energy when I don't have to take it so I'm loving that.

Second, Greg doesn't move as much as Charlotte did. I kept thinking that I wasn't feeling it because I remember how Charlotte moved at the end of my pregnancy and I'm not there yet, but I think it's safe to say by now that he's just not as active. He does move. I'm not worried or anything, it's just that his movements aren't so frequent, and when they do happen they don't happen for all that long. I wonder if I think this because I'm busier than I was during the last pregnancy, but that's the observation I've had. Also, he moves very low, down in the pelvis region. That's not to say that he's not taking up more than his fair share of my insides at the moment. He seems plenty big, he just doesn't move up top all that much.

Third, my joints hurt. I will wake up 2-3 times each night because my hips, knees, shoulders and wrists just ache. I've asked other women about it and none so far have told me they experienced the same thing. I'm going to have to bring this up to my doctor when I go in Thursday (has it already been a month?). This pain did not happen with Charlotte.

On the other side, my leg hasn't gone numb like it did with Charlotte. I keep waiting for that to happen, but it just isn't.

Also, I think I'm gaining weight at a more steady pace. Last time with such bad nausea I didn't gain anything for so long then I practically exploded. This time I have been surely and steadily gaining weight. This makes me wonder if I would have gotten the stretch marks last time if I had been able to grow like this. Although the stretch marks that had faded a bit are now the bright angry purple of stretching so perhaps not.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll probably add more to this list later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had some really bad joint pain in my hips during my pregnancy. It even started at like 10 weeks, so it wasn't because I was really big. I actually still have hip pain occur now, so I hope yours goes away!
The only thing I definitely want different from my last pregnancy is to not have the baby 6 weeks early. I loved being pregnant otherwise, ok actually from like 15 weeks on.

I hated the nausea so congrats to you on having less this time! My sister's nausea was less with each of her pregnancies. Hopefully it will be the same for me (and you)!

Nurse Graham said...

What?! Your med-student husband hasn't told you about the effects of pregnancy hormones on ligaments and joints? Shame on him for causing you unnecessary worry by leaving you in the dark that this phenomenon is perfectly normal. Heavens, by time he was finally born, his mom could hardly walk because her hips had loosened up so much.

It will be interesting to see if the movements of this little person match the personality. My girl was a tumbler/goer from the very beginning and still is today. The boy was always more reserved and still is (sometimes, although 12 is proving to be a little different.)

Maggie said...

Heather- It's always good to know someone else that has or had your same symptoms. Thanks for the suuport. I think I'd also like to avoid having the baby 6 weeks early. That sounded very scary for the two of you.

Nurse Graham-I told my friend about how baby Greg's movements are so different from Charlotte's and she said, "He sounds like Dan." So who knows?

Anonymous said...

I remember that I would be walking along when I was pregant and my hip would almost pop out of joint. Man that hurts!