Thursday, January 22, 2009

What you Really Want

Why is it that whenever I decide something that's worthwhile for me to do and save up for I suddenly find 3 or 4 others that I'd like?

A few weeks ago our bishop encouraged every member of the congregation to join an organization that is NOT church related. The point was that to be a good member of the community you have to actually participate in the community and this was a good way to do it. Plus, he figured that most people already have something they'd like to join, but don't because their too busy or something else always comes up. So no excuses. Get involved. I have no idea why, but my mind immediately jumped to taking mandolin lessons at the Folk School of St. Louis. I found this school last year and was really excited about it, but one thing lead to another and it wasn't really a necessity and I didn't have a whole lot of time. I signed up for their emails though and have been receiving them every now and then for a while. I looked them up and tuition for a class for a semester is only $135. That's really cheap. So I figured I should save my money up for next semester. Then I realized that next semester probably runs into my due date. And the semester after that Dan will be in 3rd year and there goes any chance I have of being able to depend on him in the evenings.

Yesterday though, I found out that my husband might be going to Honduras for a week in February and that Southwest is having a heck of a deal on tickets for the next couple of days. I could fly round trip to Denver for $160. Very cheap and it would be a great way to have a vacation when my husband will be gone anyway.

Then today we had an unusually warm day. It was about 50 degrees and sunny. I was not going to miss this opportunity to take Charlotte to the park as it's supposed to be in the 20s by Saturday. So we packed up and walked out. This made me realize that if I ever want to get any running/jogging/walking in that actually raises my heart rate I'm really going to have to invest in a double jogging stroller. Those things aren't cheap.

So now I've got three things that I really would like to spend money on. Three very valid things. I've now got to make the decision what I want to put my money towards. And the whole time I'm trying to decide my mind keeps saying to me none of these things are necessities. You should just be grateful that you even have the opportunity for any of them! This is a ridiculous thing to even spend time worrying over. You have so very much in this life! Don't spend that money at all. You should save it in case of an emergency! And I'm right too. I should just save this money because none of these things are necessities.

Then again....

7 comments:

anorthowife said...

let me say maggie - you really are amazing! you really do look so beautiful when you're preggo and since you did a really good job of making Charlotte and those coats, your little guy is going to be uber handsome as well... i hope that when i have kids, ill find time to do fun projects too. keep going maggie!

TRS said...

Oh, I know that is frustrating. But on the bright side... any time I save up money for a desire/want it's a GUARANTEE that a need/emergency will come up requiring the exact same amount of cash.

desire/want: sofa, digital camera, bedroom dresser

need/emergency: dead car - need new one = $3000, nightguard (for my teeth grinding habit) = $500, HOA assesement for a roof repair = $300.

Is it any wonder I don't have an iPod, or cable tv?

TRS said...

oops. That was meant to mean: bright side for you when you compare yourself to me. - Guess I wasn't clear originally.

And I meant to share - look up Mothers of Mulitples in your area - they have a giant 'tag sale' every spring - in which mothers of twins, triplets and more, sell baby clothes and supplies. You could get a used jog stroller super cheap if you plan for it and get there early.

Go look it up now and mark your calendar.

why does a single woman with no kids know about this? I used to be a reporter. We know 1 min 30 seconds about everything!!!

TRS said...

and reporters also like to research... it's nutty:
http://www.stlmotc.org/ next resell it sale - april 19, 2009 (I couldn't figure out location - so keep looking.

http://www.memom.org/sale.htm == this one is April 5th.

Anonymous said...

What brand of twin stroller would you think is best?

Maggie said...

Natalie-Thanks so much. This is actually the first time I've spent any time doing sewing in a LONG time. I'm very proud.

TRS-You have a very good point. Being able to spend money on wants instead of needs IS a bright side. Thanks for the link too!

Dad- The stroller of my DREAMS is the phil and teds sport model, but it's really expensive so I don't expect to get it anytime soon.

TRS said...

Your dad is so sweet. I'm so jealous!

BTW, I want the Macy's Margaret sofa in Bittersweet. I'll tell you where to have it shipped!