Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Interpretations

Since Christmas, Charlotte has added a few new names to her repitoire of favorite-people-in-the-whole-world. She says these people's names periodically throughout the day just to remember them and hopefully mom will say she can see them soon. For example this morning as she was taking a bath she suddenly stopped what she was doing, looked up at me and said, "Bonnie! Emma! Grandma! Grandpa!" then proceeded to play with the bath toys. Some of the new names she's added are Roscoe, Katie, Suzie, Garrett, and Travis. That list isn't complete but you get the idea.

This shouting out of names, compounded with the fact that not all of them are pronounced properly can sometimes make for interesting interpretations on my part.

Take this morning at the grocery store for example. As we were walking around the store she would periodically say, "Garreck" which I interpreted as Garrett, her uncle. I saw that saying that name usually conincided with spotting a male customer at the store so I would tell her each time, "Uncle Garrett lives in Colorado. He's not here at the grocery store." To which she would reply, "Garreck!" As we were checking out she was looking at the magazines and interspersed with 10 million requests for "canny" and "chocick" she would say "Garreck." I told her no to the candy and chocolate and that no, Uncle Garrett wasn't on the cover of the magazines. It wasn't until I got home and she was helping me unpack the groceries that I figured it out. She exclaimed, "garreck" as she stuck her hand into a grocery sack and pulled out our pound bag of carrots. At which point I asked her if she wanted some carrots and she said yes. Turns out she'd been asking for carrots throughout the whole store and I just didn't understand her.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Maggie - I will be in St. Louis tomorrow on business. I would love to see you and your cute little girl (husband's in school - I respect that). No way am I putting my cell phone on the net...so shoot me a post if you want to get together.

Shannon

Katie said...

Oh, he'll be so dissapointed!

Maggie said...

He shouldn't be. It means that his name comes up frequently enough for me to assume that's what she meant.