Thursday, January 08, 2009

They just keep coming

I'm so glad I'm married to a manly man. One who does not even think twice when I tell him that it's his job to clean up all the mouse pee and poo in our stove. One who isn't intimidated by the oven schematic telling him which wires go where and how to take the thing apart. One who casually sucks up half a dead mouse with the vacuum and then disposes of the body without me even having to touch or inspect it. I'm so glad that he's not grossed out by truly gross things.

Turns out that there was mouse pee and poop all over under the stove top (between the stove top and oven) and that a mouse had been in there and died at some point. And our stove top is bolted onto the range. You can't just lift it from the front so Dan had to do serious disassembly on the appliance. On the good side we did not find any evidence of insulation nesting. On the bad side I'm waiting until there's a day/time when we're not home to run the self cleaning option to burn off all the residue. That's going to stink up to high heaven. This so grosses me out.

On another troubling note, Charlotte has started having nightmares. Wake up in the middle of the night crying for mommy and daddy nightmares. Wont go back to sleep because of "scawy" nightmares. She always wants to be with us after a nightmare, but she's never slept in the bed with us before. You'd think that wouldn't be a big deal, but as it turns out she now can't sleep with us. If we let her come to bed she just tosses and turns and is totally enthralled by being in bed with mommy and daddy and probably wide awake because of the nightmare. We can't go to bed with her either because she's still just in the daybed of her crib. It only holds up to 70 lbs or so. She will not stay in her room alone though. So what has to happen is that daddy has to go and sleep on the floor next to her bed so that she's safe to fall back to sleep. A few hours later he then gets himself up and to bed with me. This can't last though. He needs to get a good night sleep. And we have another baby coming in four months. If this is happening neither of us will ever sleep again. I'd like to think this phase will end shortly, but honestly, I remember going into my parents room when I got scared. If I can remember it then it had to be when I was older than 21 months. We've got to come up with a plan for dealing with this and soon. The problem is, I have zero ideas on how to combat this problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to put Lacey to work this morning - there was a mouse in Romy's food bin. I always find them when I feel a soft, fuzzy brush against my hand that is scooping dry dog food. I put Lacey on top of Mischief's ffod bin, showed her the mouse, closed the laundry room door and went to gym. No mouse when I got home but Lacey came down from the sewing room. I hope she didn't "dispose" of it up there. Who knows how long it would take to find it?????

Angelavon said...

my idea: get a king sized bed:)