Thursday, January 15, 2009

An STD can ruin a whole weekend

About three hours after going to playgroup yesterday Charlotte's eye started to water. It leaked and leaked and leaked, but didn't seem to bother her so I thought nothing of it. Then this morning the leaking had a few eye boogers in it. Dan said, "It's just a clogged tear duct. Don't worry about it. It'll go away." I totally (well, sort of) believed that right up until the watering started to look clouded instead of clear tears. Also, the skin around her eye was a bit pink. I called the doctor's office and they said to come in today. I did that. I figured worst case scenario she has pink eye. That'll suck, but you give them some drops and then they're fine. As we were sitting in the waiting room to see her doctor her other eye started to get gummy tears in it too. Turns out that she has an atypical presentation of pink eye. Not only that, but they had to swab the gunk to culture to make sure that what she has isn't Chlamydia. When the doctor told me that I thought to myself, "How the hell did my two year old get Chlamydia?!" Anyway, because her case isn't a classic case we don't actually get eye drops. We get eye ointment. That I have to put on her every four hours while she's awake. For a whole week. And on top of all that she can't go around other kids for 4 days.

So now we're stuck at home for four days putting basically vaseline in her eyes every four hours. Tomorrow is supposed to be Music Makers, which is Charlotte's favorite activity of the entire week. She wakes up every morning asking to go to "Makers?" and now I'm going to have to tell her that no, we can't go. We have to stay at home. This is going to be awesome.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

We've survived the ointment on several occasions! Could be worse...

Nurse Graham said...

Don't let the dr. freak you out--the chances of chlamydia infection are very small, but then again, just thinking about the possibility could totally wig any mom out. Oh, probably should wash the dog that she has been having "blow" his nose and wash her sheets.

You are super-crafty so maybe you and Charlotte can make your own music shakers with paperplates and beans, get out the pots and pans, and have your own little percussion session.

Mary Jo said...

jack had pink eye and we had to put the drops in and it was HORRIBLE!! He would kick and thrash and hit trying to get away. I could only do it when my husband was home to help restrain him. I almost think ointment would be better? I could be wrong though. You will have to let me know.

Angelavon said...

dang, i'm so sorry! that would be awful! when asher's cold kept him from nursery and joy school, be was pretty sad too:(

Mindy said...

We have missed you guys this week!